PDA

View Full Version : Thomas, John or the same man?

tessie31082
14-05-19, 19:11
Hi!

Elizabeth Lovelock's husband is Thomas Faithfull (according to Ancestry hint) yet when I say yes and start looking at hint records all the marriages come up with John Faithfull! I have found a death record for a Elizabeth Faithfull (b.1658, Aldbourne d. 1723, Kintbury) and that shows her husband is Thomas. Cannot find a marriage for an Elizabeth Lovelock to a Thomas Faithfull. Also cannot find a birth/christening for either a Thomas nor a John Faithfull. Does anyone have any ideas of where I should look now to try and work out what's going on?

cbcarolyn
14-05-19, 22:48
the hints are probably due to other peoples trees, have you checked the other trees to see where they get their info from?

Sylvia C
15-05-19, 00:25
Where have you looked?? On any sites other than Ancestry???

Sylvia C
15-05-19, 00:38
Is this the burial you found??? This is from FMP

Berkshire Burial Index

First name(s) Elisabeth
Last name Faithfull
Age 65
Birth year 1658
Residence Tidcombe
Death year 1723
Burial year 1723
Burial date 20 Oct 1723
Church St Mary
Place Kintbury
Relationship Wife
Relation Thomas Faithfull Snr
Notes date of death 17th Oct
County Berkshire
Country England
Record set Berkshire Burial Index
Category Life Events (BDMs)

Sylvia C
15-05-19, 00:47
I found a Thomas Faithful married to an Eli*abeth Schrab in 1718, but in Hampshire ............

It made me think that perhaps Eli*beth Lovelock married at least once before Thomas.

You have remembered to look for possible different spellings, haven't you?

teasie
16-05-19, 02:12
If all you are looking at is a transcription on Ancestry, which will originally have come from Familysearch, then I wouldn't be surprised if its an error in transcription. Some of these old registers are very difficult to read.

Having said that, looking at the Familysearch catalog only the Bishops Transcript has been filmed for that period (and can only be viewed at a FHS centre), so it could equally be a copying error from the PR to the BT.

The originals are held at Berkshire Records Office so you could contact them for a quote & at the same time confirm whether it's the BTs or the PR. Prices start at £10 though.

tessie31082
17-05-19, 16:41
the hints are probably due to other peoples trees, have you checked the other trees to see where they get their info from?

How do you see where they get the info. from?

tessie31082
17-05-19, 16:44
Where have you looked?? On any sites other than Ancestry???

I only have an Ancestry sub.

tessie31082
17-05-19, 16:45
Is this the burial you found??? This is from FMP

Berkshire Burial Index

First name(s) Elisabeth
Last name Faithfull
Age 65
Birth year 1658
Residence Tidcombe
Death year 1723
Burial year 1723
Burial date 20 Oct 1723
Church St Mary
Place Kintbury
Relationship Wife
Relation Thomas Faithfull Snr
Notes date of death 17th Oct
County Berkshire
Country England
Record set Berkshire Burial Index
Category Life Events (BDMs)

Yes :)

tessie31082
17-05-19, 16:46
I found a Thomas Faithful married to an Eli*abeth Schrab in 1718, but in Hampshire ............

It made me think that perhaps Eli*beth Lovelock married at least once before Thomas.

You have remembered to look for possible different spellings, haven't you?

Yes I've tried other spellings - I'll look for previous marriages as hadn't thought about that!