Amelia Sherlock c.1800s Salford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amelia Sherlock c.1800s Salford

I have a bible presented to the above in 1880 which I am aware was given to my mother in 1940 when she was 21yrs.
    Why I do not know but it was treasured by her.

On the inside cover there is a picture of Christ Church Salford.
    Under titled Hulme Street Sunday School
    Easter 1880

It was presented to Amelia Sherlock for regular & punctual attendance - present 101 times

It is signed by a signature with the surname Stowell.

My mother passed over in 2016 & the bible is really showing its age.If I could I would like to return it
    to a member of Amelias family if possible.

Any advice appreciated please
    ​Bettyespana

Sorry Betty, I've had a quick look but haven't found any significant clues as yet.:(
    Did your mum (or any of her older relatives) have any connections with Salford? I was wondering if an elder relative (or an employer) had given it to her, which caused her to hold it in high esteem?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think the wording that the Bible was given to someone attending Sunday School, which could probably mean that Amelia was a child, possibly under the age of about 12 or 14 ........... I had a look and there are 2 or 3 possible Amelia Sherlocks registered as born in Salford on lancsbmd between 1860 and 1875, but they have middle names. There are 3 or 4 more Amelias born elsewhere in the area during the same time period.

It does sound as if she was a close friend or connection to your mother's family to have given such a prized possession to your mother on the important event of her 21st birthday (it would still have been very important in 1940).

But equally Amelia world have been in her 60s at least at that point, and maybe knew you mother as a neighbour, church friend???

You never asked your mother about it???
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        Sorry Betty, I've had a quick look but haven't found any significant clues as yet.:(
        Did your mum (or any of her older relatives) have any connections with Salford? I was wondering if an elder relative (or an employer) had given it to her, which caused her to hold it in high esteem?

Jay
        My Mums mother was a friend of the person who gave it her.I do know they lived in Salford & was told they had servants.
        ​Bettyespana

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
          I think the wording that the Bible was given to someone attending Sunday School, which could probably mean that Amelia was a child, possibly under the age of about 12 or 14 ........... I had a look and there are 2 or 3 possible Amelia Sherlocks registered as born in Salford on lancsbmd between 1860 and 1875, but they have middle names. There are 3 or 4 more Amelias born elsewhere in the area during the same time period.

It does sound as if she was a close friend or connection to your mother's family to have given such a prized possession to your mother on the important event of her 21st birthday (it would still have been very important in 1940).

But equally Amelia world have been in her 60s at least at that point, and maybe knew you mother as a neighbour, church friend???

You never asked your mother about it???
          All I know is in the reply I sent to Janet in Yorkshire.I actually knew the gentleman who gave it her as Uncle Will & his last name was Irish(Will Irish).
          I even have a photo of him taken in the garden of my Grans home.Uncle Will was a very random visitor but he was a lovely old man.
          ​Bettyespana

Comment

Originally posted by bettyespana View Post
            All I know is in the reply I sent to Janet in Yorkshire.I actually knew the gentleman who gave it her as Uncle Will & his last name was Irish(Will Irish).
            I even have a photo of him taken in the garden of my Grans home.Uncle Will was a very random visitor but he was a lovely old man.

So, am I understanding it correctly ........ it was NOT Amanda who gave your mother the Bible, but a man called Will Irish??

Could Will have been Amanda's husband??????
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
              So, am I understanding it correctly ........ it was NOT Amanda who gave your mother the Bible, but a man called Will Irish??

Could Will have been Amanda's husband??????
              Whoops! wrong name Sylvia -she is Amelia not Amanda.

I had never considered that she could have been Will Irish's wife but I suppose it may have been the case.

I was only a child when Uncle Will visited & he was an old man then.
              ​Bettyespana

Comment

Whoops! wrong name Sylvia -she is Amelia not Amanda.

I had never considered that she could have been Will Irish's wife but I suppose it may have been the case.

I was only a child when Uncle Will visited & he was an old man then.
                Sorry Sylvia - Yes it was Will Irish who gave Mum the bible when she was 21.

Uncle Will visits were very random & being a child i never even thought of any other family he would have had.

My Mum seemed to know very little about him.
                ​Bettyespana

Comment

[QUOTE=bettyespana;2651360]My Mums mother was a friend of the person who gave it her.I do know they lived in Salford & was told they had servants.[/QUOTE]

Was it your grandmother who lived in Salford, and her family who had servants?
                  In which case, could Amelia have been a nursemaid to your grandmother and kept in touch with her when she was an adult? And saw her bring up her own family i.e your Mum?? I'm wondering if Amelia was already deceased by 1940 and so Will passed on the treasured bible as a keepsake, when your Mum was 21?
                  Have you found your grandmother's family in census returns? Any links with Salford and domestic servants? (Unfortunately we only get 10 year snapshots with census.)

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

[QUOTE=Janet in Yorkshire;2651406]
                    My Mums mother was a friend of the person who gave it her.I do know they lived in Salford & was told they had servants.[/QUOTE]

Was it your grandmother who lived in Salford, and her family who had servants?
                    In which case, could Amelia have been a nursemaid to your grandmother and kept in touch with her when she was an adult? And saw her bring up her own family i.e your Mum?? I'm wondering if Amelia was already deceased by 1940 and so Will passed on the treasured bible as a keepsake, when your Mum was 21?
                    Have you found your grandmother's family in census returns? Any links with Salford and domestic servants? (Unfortunately we only get 10 year snapshots with census.)

Jay
                    Sorry but no .It was Will who was supposed to live in a big house & had servants.

We were a very close family.My mother was the middle daughter of 3 girls & we all lived next door to each other when I was a child.
                    My Grandma had a drapers shop in Pendleton, Salford which she purchased from a friend around 1949/50.(A lady friend surname Rose)
                    I used to stay there with her during school holidays.
                    There were never any servants in our family.
                    I have already done the research on my family inc.Grandma's & I cannot find any link in there to Amelia Sherlock or Will Irish

One thing I must note is I have had a look yesterday in Christ Church Parish records for both Amelia Sherlock/William Irish.
                    I didn't find William Irish but there is the name William Ireland in there.I wonder if this is the same person.
                    ​Bettyespana

Comment

could this be Will ? - does the age match your Will you seen ?
                      Baptism: 19 May 1920 All Saints, Bolton, Lancashire, England
                      William Irish - [Child] of Fred Irish & Ada
                      Born: 25 Mar 1920
                      Abode: 13 Ralph Street, Bolton
                      Salford to Bolton is 12 miles
                      I just wondered if Will became a house painter like his father - did he have his own company and become rich and have his own servants ?
                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                        could this be Will ? - does the age match your Will you seen ?
                        Baptism: 19 May 1920 All Saints, Bolton, Lancashire, England
                        William Irish - [Child] of Fred Irish & Ada
                        Born: 25 Mar 1920
                        Abode: 13 Ralph Street, Bolton
                        Salford to Bolton is 12 miles
                        I just wondered if Will became a house painter like his father - did he have his own company and become rich and have his own servants ?
                        I would say a definite No on this going off the date of birth.

Reason being that would make him younger than my Mother who he gave the bible to when she was 21yrs.
                        As I said previously Will was a friend of my Grandmother.

I wonder though if the family you have found in Bolton are connected in some way.
                        ​Bettyespana

Comment

I would say a definite No on this going off the date of birth.

Reason being that would make him younger than my Mother who he gave the bible to when she was 21yrs.
                          As I said previously Will was a friend of my Grandmother.

I wonder though if the family you have found in Bolton are connected in some way.

A sudden thought came to me !

I am now wondering if Will Irish may have been a Godparent of my Mum & that may be the reasoning behind him giving Mum the bible.

As far as I am aware her 2 sisters were never given any kind of gift in the same way.

My Mum was born 1919 with her eldest sister b.1918 & her youngest in 1921.All are now deceased so I have no other way of knowing.

I am almost certain that Mum was baptised at St Marks,Worsley as that is the church & school the family all attended.
                          ​Bettyespana

Comment

Betty, write to or mail the vicar or churchwarden at the church and ask if they can tell you the whereabouts of the relevant baptism book, just in case godparents were recorded as early as that. They weren't in most of the registers I've read, but you never know unless you ask! I do know that the bp register for our church recorded godparents from the mid 1940's onwards.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                              Betty, write to or mail the vicar or churchwarden at the church and ask if they can tell you the whereabouts of the relevant baptism book, just in case godparents were recorded as early as that. They weren't in most of the registers I've read, but you never know unless you ask! I do know that the bp register for our church recorded godparents from the mid 1940's onwards.

Jay
                              I have looked on Lancs Online Parish Registers for St Marks at Worsley.Baptisms are recorded for the years around the time Mum was born but she is not listed.

I tried to see if she was baptised at St Mary Magdalenes in Winton,Eccles which she also attended as did I but the listings cease before Mums d.o.b

What I will try to do is get in touch with the vicar/churchwarden there & see if they can help.A little more difficult with me living abroad.

regards
                              ​Bettyespana

Comment

Working...
                              X