Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark Family

Hi all,

I am looking to research my grandfathers family tree. He passed away just before christmas, he never spoke of his family so it is all a bit of a mystery to me. To my knowledge he didnt have a great life growing up and I am aware that he and his siblings were put into care at Dr Barnardos and then fostered. Other than this I am clueless.

I know his parents Were Arthur Clark (1906) and Rose E C Saunders (1915-1973). His siblings Hazel (1933-1995) Arthur (1934-2004) Thelma (1939-2018) All born in Cambridge

Another mystery was what happened to Arthur as no one knows what happened to him. To my knowledge he went to war and that was the last anyone knew of him.

If anyone can help me anyway get me some answers it would greatly be appreciated!!

Dan

This is from the 1939 Register which later became the basis for the NHS in 1947, and was constantly updated by the NHS until ca 1991.

Address:- 23 Godhic Street, Cambridge

Arthur G Clark 18 May 1907 Gas Mark Assembler Married
    Rose E R Warters (Clark) 28 Mar 1915 Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
    Arthur G Clark 09 Oct 1934 Under School Age Single
    The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?
    The record for this person is officially closed. Can I get around this?

Gas Mark Assembler should be Gas Mask Assembler
    The image for Rose looks as if there has been a mistransciption, it does look like Rose E. C rather than the Rose E R on here.

Rose married again at some point after 1939 to a Mr Warters (???Watters), because this was updated by hand in a different colour ink.

The 2 closed records are for persons not know to be dead.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 05-05-19, 20:54.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Rose married William W Walters in Sept quarter 1946

You can find the record of the marriage on

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Was your grandfather Anthony H. B Clark, born June quarter 1937?

There might also have been another child, but I can't find a death or marriage for her on Freebmd ........

Female Clark, born December quarter 1935

Sorry, I have had to remove her name as she could still be alive.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-05-19, 09:35.

Comment

Yes my grandfather is Anthony Henry Brian Clark - born March 1937 Died November 2018

I have his mother and fathers marriage certificate - they married June 1934 in Cherston, Cambridgeshire.

Rose’s full name on the marriage certificate is Rose Emily Charlotte Saunders. To my knowledge she did remarry to william and my nan was lead to believe they had a child together. I know Rose was living in wales at the end of her life. died in 1973 according to ancestry.

In regards to Female Clark, may be possible because again there is a rumour of another sibling.

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
          Was your grandfather Anthony H. B Clark, born June quarter 1937?

There might also have been another child, but I can't find a death or marriage for her on Freebmd ........

Female Clark, born December quarter 1935
          Sorry, as above have had to remove her name until we find out if she is still alive or deceased.
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-05-19, 09:37.

Comment

This looks like the death of Arthur -
            Name - Arthur George Clark - Death Age 69 - Birth Date 9 Oct 1934 - Registration Date Apr 2004 - Registration district Birmingham - County Warwickshire - Reg Number P20B - District and Subdistrict 061/1P - Entry Number 230
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Rose appears to have died in 1980 in Haverfordwest - not 1973

Comment

Arthur George Clark that died in 2004 is my grandads brother,

you are right rose died in 1980

looking to try and find my great grandfather Arthur born 1906

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                Rose appears to have died in 1980 in Haverfordwest - not 1973

Comment

Sorry yes, I realise now that I was looking for the wrong Arthur. Can you tell us please, on the marriage cert of Arthur and Rose, what does it give as his father's name and occupation?

Comment

fathers name is arthur george clark (28 years old)- married on 22 june 1934 to rose emily charlotte saunders (19 years old)

on certificate Arthur george clark occupation is shown as greengrocer

Comment

So Arthur George Clark b 1907 was on 1939 reg and assume (unless divorced) that he died before Rose remarries in 1946.

He would have been 32 at start of the war, I assume he would have volunteered, that was too old for conscription, any idea what forces he joined?
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

thats where im stuck because i know nothing more than he was in the war. i know nothing beyond that, always been a mystery

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                        So Arthur George Clark b 1907 was on 1939 reg and assume (unless divorced) that he died before Rose remarries in 1946.

He would have been 32 at start of the war, I assume he would have volunteered, that was too old for conscription, any idea what forces he joined?

Comment

Ive never even known who his parents are because i cant even find a birth record

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

Not necessarily ........... my uncle was born in 1895, fought through WW1, was injured, and was still liable for call-up in 1939/1940 until he managed to find a Store Keeper's job in a "restricted occupation" factory. That was apparently due to my father's help ............. he was working in a restricted occupation at the factory, heard they wanted a store keeper, told his brother and Harry got the job.

But he would have been around 45 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by mateer1987 View Post
                              fathers name is arthur george clark (28 years old)- married on 22 june 1934 to rose emily charlotte saunders (19 years old)

I have read and re read this - and not sure I understand - his fathers name is also Arthur George Clark a greengrocer? and the bridegroom Arthur G is 28 at marriage, so year of birth maybe 1906 and not 1907 as on 1939 register. any clues from the witnesses?

People get year wrong but not maybe month?
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Didnt see you there Carolyn
                                Originally posted by mateer1987 View Post

On the marriage cert for 1834, what was the occupation of Arthur G b 1907 and his address before marriage.

Please confirm the occupation of the father of Arthur G.

I can see a possible birth but the father of that Arthur G b 1907 was a Harness Maker

Vera
                                Last edited by vera2013; 06-05-19, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                                  Not necessarily ........... my uncle was born in 1895, fought through WW1, was injured, and was still liable for call-up in 1939/1940 until he managed to find a Store Keeper's job in a "restricted occupation" factory. That was apparently due to my father's help ............. he was working in a restricted occupation at the factory, heard they wanted a store keeper, told his brother and Harry got the job.

But he would have been around 45 at the time.
                                  Interesting - I can't see any of my 'older' ancestors were conscripted, will ask Mum and Dad why their parents weren't called up.

I did have a hunt around, I know my Dad wasn't conscripted until 41 making him 19. he said he waited to be called and didn't volunteer! Pages I read said first conscripts were 20 - 22, but just found wiki page and that says different...so it must be true hee hee. Does seems as though initially it was youngsters called up and then more and more people were conscripted in 41 and 42
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                    Didnt see you there Carolyn

On the marriage cert for 1834, what was the occupation of Arthur G b 1907 and his address before marriage.

Please confirm the occupation of the father of Arthur G.

I can see a possible birth but the father of that Arthur G b 1907 was a Harness Maker

Vera
                                    no problem, confirms my lack of understanding wasn't so silly. We should be able to find him in 1911 census.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

found this on Ancestry, no father so pretty sure not right. Grandfather came from Bedford so not miles away from Cambridge....

and as GR has it this I think, so before May
                                      CLARK, ARTHUR GEORGE -
                                      GRO Reference: 1907 M Quarter in WHITBY Volume 09D Page 448

The saddler looks promising not far away in Peterborough - he could have changed profession
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-05-19, 18:32.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

This is the Arthur G b 1907 son of the Arthur G in 1911

GRO
                                        Arthur G Clarke, Reg June q Peterborough, mmn Spink

Clarke, Arthur G b 1876 Outwell Saddler/ harness maker
                                        Elizabeth b 1878 Peterborough
                                        Arthur G aged 4 b Peterborough
                                        Living 12 Crawthorne Rd, Peterborough

Cambridge Electoral Roll 1845
                                        23 Gothic St, Cambridge
                                        Rose E C Clark
                                        Alice J Woolford

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X