Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a 1939 scotland or evacuation records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a 1939 scotland or evacuation records?

The more I look into my grandfathers records the worse he becomes!!!
    Mum was born 1927 in New Zealand the middle of 3 children. . 1935 he brought them over on a boat, the Rangitane, to live in Scotland, mum always said she was raised by her grandparents and aunts. She also said that he dad rejoined the army. It is quite clear that in 1939 he is already settled as estate electrician/gardener/handyman in Sussex for the Lamb family, builders and roofers contractors which is where I always went to visit. His new wife was already living there with her parents as well. Her parents were groundsman and housekeeper. I met her father a few times when we went there. Remember he used to stick a coin in my hand when he shook my hand to leave. Probably only a big penny but remember that part well.
    So mum was only 12 then and he obviously had no intention of having his 3 children live with him and his new wife. Mum did say she was evacuated from Glasgow. I know she spent a lot of time in Ayr during the school holidays and played monopoly in the attic with her cousins and spent quite a bit of time on the beach.
    Cant remember where she said she was evacuated to though.
    The passenger lists also show that he had left New Zealand for quite a while and returned to Scotland so he had left the children behind with their mother for probably the best part of a year. No wonder my grandmother had an affair with his friend!!! lol

I was wondering if I could find where mum was evacuated to. Or where her older brother may have been in 1939 if there was a register for scotland

mum said she remembered being very upset when she heard the Rangitane had been sunk by the germans, looked on wikipedia and it says that was in November 1940 so I am guessing mum would have still been with her evacuation family.

Comment

As far as I know, no formal records of evacuation exist unfortunately.

OC
      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 05-05-19, 12:02.

Comment

There is a 1939 register for Scotland but you have to pay £15 to access it (£5 if person not found) and supply a copy of their death certificate if they died outside of Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
          There is a 1939 register for Scotland but you have to pay £15 to access it (£5 if person not found) and supply a copy of their death certificate if they died outside of Scotland.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statis...ficial-extract
          interesting, thank you for that

Comment

Working...
          X