Two unaccounted Kirks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two unaccounted Kirks.

Two Kirk brothers came out to Australia in the mid 1800's, I have found them and traced all of their families right up to the present day.
    However I feel there was a third brother who joined them - James Kirk 1814-.

As hard as I have tried, I just cannot trace him.
    David Kirk 1816-1888 arrived Port Phillip Bay, Australia on 26th January 1842, on the ship Robert Been from Greenock, Scotland.
    Alexander Kirk 1818-1912, I have not found his entry port.

So in frustration I thought I'd try to contact any living Kirks.
    This was six years ago, and recently on Facebook one of them replied!
    Hence my post.

All this new John Kirk can tell me though, is that his Father William John Kirk died in 1987 in Henley NSW.

So with these two leads, one old and one new, if possible please, I would like to follow them up.

So you are after UK records before he left, or Australia records.

can you give a bit more UK info on the 2 you have found, parents and place of birth, did you have them on 1841 census?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Hi and welcome.
      Scotlandspeople records shows that a James Kirk was born 8 Nov 1814 at St Mungo parish,Dumfries. His parents are recorded as Robert Kirk and Betty Byers. They also had 2 sons
      at the same location... Alexander born 9 Aug 1818 and David born 8 Sept 1816.
      Could this be your James Kirk.

Matt
      My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
        Hi and welcome.
        Scotlandspeople records shows that a James Kirk was born 8 Nov 1814 at St Mungo parish,Dumfries. His parents are recorded as Robert Kirk and Betty Byers. They also had 2 sons
        at the same location... Alexander born 9 Aug 1818 and David born 8 Sept 1816.
        Could this be your James Kirk.

Matt
        Yes you have found the same, correct details.

Comment

It is the Australian records that I am trying to pursue.
          As I have not found him in Scotland, there is a good chance I feel that he might have joined his brothers, or have gone out with them.

Comment

You have Alexander with a year of death as 1912,with no known port of entry.
            Did he have a wife Clementina who died 1909 and is buried with him at Municipal Cemetery,Golden Grove,S Australia.
            If so there is a note on their headstone as follows " Died at Kirkland's Golden Grove.A colonist of 73 years,arrived at Pt Adelaide in ship Lysander 1839".
            The Lysander sailed from Liverpool & arrived Adelaide on 20 July 1839.
            If this is your Alexander & you can find any passenger records it might show if James travelled with him.
            Matt
            My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Yes what you have said is correct, it's been a long time since I researched Alexander.
              Then maybe as is the case now, passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au is confirming he came out on his own, aged 20, occupation farmer.

My hope has been that someone may have access to some records that bring up a James Kirk born in 1814.
              The family outside of Alexander and David has been researched and documented extensively.

Comment

Working...
              X