Death missing from GRO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death missing from GRO?

This is the first time I have ever come across it but a death isn't recorded in the index yet I have her burial.

Would there be another way to get the info to add it to my tree?

I guess what I'm asking is would there be another place for the GRO index to be able to order a cert/pdf should I wish.

Clara Horsely aged 29 buried 18th May 1850 Kirkby in Ashfield. It would more likely be in BASFORD district. [Nottinghamshire]

thank you
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 26-04-19, 08:04.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

don't forget the GRO is a transcription of the transcription of the original record! have you tried lots of different spellings?

the local office will have original transcription and certificate, you could try there. what service do they offer, they might hve a look for free if you have exact burial date.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I could quite believe that Julie. I am still looking in vain for the death of a Charles Morrey born in Nantwich reg district. Birth and baptism found. Another Charles is born 1864 reg and baptism found but no death of the first one. Have tried every variant of both names I can think of. An elder sister, Sarah Ellen is baptised and on 1861 census but her birth reg is likewise missing. Neither are illegitimate as parents married 1854, cert seen.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        don't forget the GRO is a transcription of the transcription of the original record! have you tried lots of different spellings?

the local office will have original transcription and certificate, you could try there. what service do they offer, they might hve a look for free if you have exact burial date.
        Not quite true Caroline
        Quote from GRO:
        The GRO online historic birth and death indexes have been created using our 130 million digitised records (rather than microfiche indexes)
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Sorry, like you, I haven't come up with anything. I noted she was with a Chadbourne family in 1841 and even tried that surname. If you hadn't got a burial date, I would have wondered if she was an 'unknown female/male'. Living by the sea you sometimes see stones commemorating the discovery of an unknown drowned body.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
            Sorry, like you, I haven't come up with anything. I noted she was with a Chadbourne family in 1841 and even tried that surname. If you hadn't got a burial date, I would have wondered if she was an 'unknown female/male'. Living by the sea you sometimes see stones commemorating the discovery of an unknown drowned body.
            Yes, I know what you mean Mandy, Clara was Sarah Horsley's neice [and this whole family is a blooming nightmare!] I have been struggling for days with this family!
            Julie

Comment

It doesn't happen often, but it is possible that no death certificate was issued. I have a similar problem in my husband's tree - I know the exact date & address where someone died and also when/where they were buried, but not even the local register office has a record of a death certificate having been issued.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                It doesn't happen often, but it is possible that no death certificate was issued. I have a similar problem in my husband's tree - I know the exact date & address where someone died and also when/where they were buried, but not even the local register office has a record of a death certificate having been issued.
                Thanks Teasie,

I may find the time tomorrow morning to nip to the library and see if I can glean any other info from the Prs. I suspect that the local register office would charge for looking.
                Julie

Comment

Before 1875 it was quite possible to bury someone without a death registration certificate so it may just be that the death was not registered. Trivial fact - there were more false registrations of death than you might imagine, because burial clubs and insurance companes wanted a death registration cert. It was largely due to this widespread fraud that the registration act was changed and a death had to be certified by a doctor.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Before 1875 it was quite possible to bury someone without a death registration certificate so it may just be that the death was not registered. Trivial fact - there were more false registrations of death than you might imagine, because burial clubs and insurance companes wanted a death registration cert. It was largely due to this widespread fraud that the registration act was changed and a death had to be certified by a doctor.

OC
                    Ahh thanks OC, I have fired off an email to the relevant office to see if they can help. If not, then she'll have to stay un registered! :smilee:
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      Not quite true Caroline
                      Quote from GRO:
                      The GRO online historic birth and death indexes have been created using our 130 million digitised records (rather than microfiche indexes)
                      Do they mean they have created from the copy certs, not sure what that means. If that is the case then they are relying on OCR like the newspapers? Can't mean that - the handwriting is bad on many.

The index that GRO maintains, is from a list sent by each reg office, and that list has already been transcribed by reg office to submit. Now the reg office is all digital the list is created digitally and submitted. Couple of years since I last did any work on this so might have been changed. Certainly that is how the historic records were created, they had no computers to get them in alpha order for the whole country
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        Ahh thanks OC, I have fired off an email to the relevant office to see if they can help. If not, then she'll have to stay un registered! :smilee:
                        the index is the transcription, so can be erroneous.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

They could have died elsewhere and buried at home? I had a funny birth where they were added to the index later, as it must have been missed off. Not sure how I found that.

Mind you they would still be on the national index, so ignore me.
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-04-19, 14:19.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

ah well, just got an email back and they have searched in all the sub districts and she isn't there, so looks like whomever sorted her death didnt register her

thanks everyone
                            Julie

Comment

My ggg grandfather was definitely buried (I have the date and details from the PR) but I have never found a death certificate. This was in the 1850s
                              Anne

Comment

Could there have had to be an inquest causing the death to have been registered at a later date and some time after the burial?

(The information at registration is only as good as the knowledge of the informant.)

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have found neither a burial nor a birth registration for the older half-sister of my great-grandmother, believed to have married in 1859 and then vanished without a trace.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                    My ggg grandfather was definitely buried (I have the date and details from the PR) but I have never found a death certificate. This was in the 1850s
                                    Anne
                                    yep mine was 1850 too.

I know what you mean Jay, though I wouldn't have a clue exactly what newspapers would have been about in those days, or how to search them for that matter, I don't have a sub to british newspapers or whatever it's called
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                      I have found neither a burial nor a birth registration for the older half-sister of my great-grandmother, believed to have married in 1859 and then vanished without a trace.

Jay
                                      some folk just don't want to be found.... Clara's aunt was baptised Alpha Horsley, but she was known/died as Sarah.. lord knows why!
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X