Staffordshire placename

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staffordshire placename

Can anybody help me please with opinions on what this place name is? It's the first line in the image and is from the 1871 census and it's the one and only mention of where my 3XGGF came from. As he was out of county of birth in the 1841 census all I have there is N. 1851 and 1861 annoyingly say nothing other than Staffordshire. He died in autumn 1871 so there are no more to go on. Many thanks.

Ancestry transcribes it as Tittleshall which I can’t find anywhere. FMP transcription has a - as his place of birth as if it was blank, which is isn't, Grrr!
    I have found the following three options on Google;

1. Tatenhill – a township and parish
    2. Tettenhall – a village and parish
    3. Tittensor – a village in the Beech quarter of Stone parish

Capture.JPG

Reads as Tittenshall to me. From the National Archives: "Lands in Tittensore alias Tittenshall (Stafford) formerly belonging to Thos. Clewley (plaintiff's grandfather), and late of Saml. Clewley (plaintiff's father)".

Comment

That's brilliant, thanks Bertie. That's the one I hoped people might lean towards as I made a map showing all three places and the added in yellow, the three placenames he lived in and around, He got married and baptised his children in Acton by Nantwich and died in Shavington cum Gresty. His son who was my 2XGGF went on the road and ended up in Ellesmere where he eventually married the woman he was with. That family were brought up there. His son who was my GGF married in Ellesmere and had his first two children there. He then moved to Whitchurch where the following seven were born including my GF.

I shall concentrate my search on Tittensor and make a list of all the CofE churches and any other non-Conformist I can find. Hopefully one day, I'll get to see all the church registers on the list.

Capture Map 2.png

Comment

Definitely looks like Tittenshall to me too.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

You might find this interesting GL -

Comment

Thank you for that link Chrissie. Very interesting especially that all the land belonged to the Duke of Sutherland. What started me off all those years ago was the fact that my first husband and I shared the same surname. His family are Scots and mine are English up to my generation who are Scots. I had often wondered how I got a good old Scots surname from an Englishman and set out to see if the two families were connected in the distant past. I never did find any connection.
            Wouldn’t it be great if buried somewhere in the Duke of Sutherland’s estate papers were the names of any Highland families brought down to Staffordshire to work on his new estates?
            I have been looking at parish records on FMP for the past few hours and still can’t find my 3xGGF’s baptism but there are baptisms in St Michael’s, Stone of possible siblings which would fit with naming patterns of his own children and a likely marriage of the parents of the baptised children.
            St Luke’s in Tittensor was built too late for my timeframe and so were the non-Conformist chapels so I think the parish church of St Michael, Stone is my only hope. Maybe one day, I’ll get a DNA match from a descendant of one of those baptisms.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 12-04-19, 20:39.

Comment

I think you may be right GL. When I started Googling Tittenshall the first thing that always seemed to come up was Stone. Tittensor, as it seems to be called now, is only 3.9 miles from Stone.
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 13-04-19, 08:09.

Comment

I have just been looking and you could combine a short break holiday with a trip to Trentham Gardens. It's only a couple of miles or so past Tittensor. I have always wanted to go there. It has lovely gardens, a lake, a shopping village and a Monkey Forest etc - https://www.trentham.co.uk/
                I'm trying to organise your holidays now lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  I have just been looking and you could combine a short break holiday with a trip to Trentham Gardens. It's only a couple of miles or so past Tittensor. I have always wanted to go there. It has lovely gardens, a lake, a shopping village and a Monkey Forest etc - https://www.trentham.co.uk/
                  I'm trying to organise your holidays now lol
                  That would be a real treat Chrissie. One day, I hope to hold you to that LOL It would square the circle as they say as Daddy's mother, my dear Gran was from Stoke on Trent. She was born in Stoke but lived most of her life in Burslem. Her forebears were pottery workers.

Comment

Working...
                  X