Fold 3 on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fold 3 on Ancestry

Has anyone heard of this ? A fellow researcher in US told me about it . Apparently you can search many military records in it but I can't find it at all even though I have worldwide subscription . He says to look for 3 chevrons on my home page but I can't see them . I wanted to look for the records of my 2 grandfathers William Beddows KSLI 24186 and Frank Albert Bailey of the 4/7th Cheshire Regiment . I wondered if anyone on here could tell me where to find Fold 3 .

Thanks
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

I think you still need to pay extra for Fold 3 even if you already have World Wide.
    Every so often I get a hint with Fold 3 but can't view it.
    Anne

Comment

Oh thank you Anne . Maybe my friend in the US has a higher level sub than worldwide then . I was beginning to think it was me not being able to find the 3 chevrons for fold 3 !
      Liz

Comment

You still need to pay more for Fold 3
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Depends what you re looking for, but if it's civil war records, there is free access until 15 April:
          Discover original military records including personal documents, photos, and stories from brave men and women who served. Access sources from the US and UK national archives today.

Christine
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

i 'joined' it as ancestry found some matches, but realised I had to pay, so didn't delve any further. I get emails now - hence my post about free civil war records. I see you can get it free for 7 days - maybe enough to access the records you wanted. I have found most of my service records on Ancestry and wasn't entirely sure what was on there - mainly US records?

So you are looking for Uk records?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              Depends what you re looking for, but if it's civil war records, there is free access until 15 April:
              Discover original military records including personal documents, photos, and stories from brave men and women who served. Access sources from the US and UK national archives today.

Christine
              Oops - didn't read your original post properly - I now realise you are looking for UK Military records.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks everyone . Looks like I'd need to pay to see if my grandads' records are there or wait for another free weekend on find my past ! Someone said they had Fold 3 records too but I don't have a sub for them . Thanks for the help

Liz

Comment

Liz

I have taken a quick look. Cant easily identify any records. Please give date and place of birth.

I think if there are any service records in existence they would be on Ancestry or FMP.

Vera

Comment

is this him

it is cheshire regiment - not right one?

here is what records are available:
                    This is a guide to the records of British Army soldiers who served in the First World War. Some First World War veterans continued to serve with the army after the war and for the records of these soldiers you should follow the advice in our guide to British Army soldiers of the Second World […]
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

On Ancestry there is a

William Beddows
                      New Hadley
                      Wellington
                      Shropshire

B 1893. Father George. Wife Margaret

Signed on 09/11/1914 aged 21+ KLSI
                      Demob 15/05/1919

Labourer

Vera

Comment

On Fold3

Enlisting in the Reserves KLSI

William Beddow b 07/11/1865 aged 49
                        Greyhound Passage
                        Chester St
                        Shrewsbury

Signed on 07/11/1914
                        Discharged 28/05/1917

Wife Catherine

Vera

Comment

and on Fold3 some pension records for the William b 1893 giving discharge address of Church Street, Hadley, Shropshire. Also a mailing address for Canada

Can email all to you if their yours

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 13-04-19, 09:57.

Comment

Hello Vera
                            Thank you for that . Yes grandad Bailey was in the Cheshires 7th regiment and he was at Gallipoli so I think you've found him .
                            Grandad Beddows was born 1894 at Horwich which is near Bolton and his parents were James and Mary Beddows .
                            Thanks so much for looking for them .
                            I also thought Ancestry would have their service records if they survived the bombing in the second war . It was just that my US friend thought they might be on Fold 3 .
                            Liz

Comment

Hello Liz.

It was Carolyn who found your Cheshire records.

Will take a look at Beddows b Bolton.

Vera

Comment

I have found a lot of mine on Ancestry, wonder if they are there but mistranscribed. Also I can see some of the ones I found for my tree are quite damaged, so guess there are a number damaged
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Carolyn
                                  I think you may have found my Bailey grandad in the Cheshires . I know what you mean about some of the records being very damaged . I found some for other ancestors which were very difficult to read .

Liz

Comment

This is William's medal card on Ancestry. You probably have this. I note he was also with the Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex) Regiment SN G/106701

Cant see him on either on Fold 3 for Service Record, Military Records or Pension Records

There is a record for William for the KSLI on Forces War Record. Not sure what they have. Its sub only but you may be able to access it using their Free Trial.

Vera

Comment

following on from Vera's post did you have this:
                                      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

also confirming his move to mddx.

there is another William Beddows in KSLI but doesn't look like your man.

I can't decide if Ancestry should have all records, where do fold3 come into it for UK records I am not sure - Vera do you know? Do you have access to fold 3 as a seperate sub?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

just looking at the record summary for pension records:

answers my question about ancestry pension but not what fold 3 have
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X