Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details of a death

Hello
    Is it possible to find any details of a suicide,not very nice I know. According to my friend her uncle committed suicide in 1963. She only got this through word of mouth, and I am doing her tree but can find nothing.
    His name was Albert Muxlow born about 1929. The railway at Tottenham or Edmonton in London may have played a part.
    If anyone could point me in some direction please
    Thank you
    Ann

The death certificate will give you the details.

It will cost £11 from GRO

Alternatively, a) search newspapers in the area for a report of either the death or the inquest, or b) access the newspaper collection on FMP to see if the relevant one(s) have been digitised.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thank you Sylvia.
      I will see what newspaper was about then. I do not have FMP
      regards
      Ann

Comment

dont think you will find it in the newspapers on FMP, they dont go up to that year.

Comment

I did a quick search in https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and nothing in that era comes up for Muxlow. So either no paper on there yet, or wasn't in the papers. There are papers arriving all the time.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you all
            Regards
            Ann

Comment

I have a few ancestors that have committed suicide and the death cert gives the details and as said above the newspapers. Mine were all a lot earlier than this but I found them all at the big library in Nottingham. This was before they were on FMP.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                Hello
                Is it possible to find any details of a suicide,not very nice I know. According to my friend her uncle committed suicide in 1963. She only got this through word of mouth, and I am doing her tree but can find nothing.
                His name was Albert Muxlow born about 1929. The railway at Tottenham or Edmonton in London may have played a part.
                If anyone could point me in some direction please
                Thank you
                Ann
                where was he living at the time?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Carolyn he lived in Tottenham North London
                  Regards
                  Ann

Comment

I can't find him on 1939 or find a birth record for him. What certificates led your friend to him?
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                      The death certificate will give you the details.

It will cost £11 from GRO

Alternatively, a) search newspapers in the area for a report of either the death or the inquest, or b) access the newspaper collection on FMP to see if the relevant one(s) have been digitised.
                      or a £7 pdf would have the same info? [from GRO]
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie, the PDFs only go up to 1957. This was in 1963 according to the OP.
                        Anne

Comment

I can only see this death

Name: Albert E Muxlow
                          Death Age: 35
                          Birth Date: abt 1928
                          Registration Date: Jun 1963
                          Registration district: Edmonton
                          Inferred County: Essex
                          Volume: 5e
                          Page: 267

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                            Julie, the PDFs only go up to 1957. This was in 1963 according to the OP.
                            Anne
                            sorry Anne, not thinking straight oops
                            Julie

Comment

That is his death. My friend had been told there was a suicide but no more
                              Albert had 2 surnames Murphy and Muxlow I have just found out, but used Muxlow most. He was illegitimate, his parents living together until they could marry when his first wife died.
                              All very complicated
                              Regards
                              Ann

Comment

Got to dash now but have been doing a bit of research and I think Albert may have been born June 1927 in Islington. I have found Bertie's probate and war service records etc, which I assume you have. Will look more tomorrow if you haven't solved it by then.

Comment

Do you know if there are any 'local' papers to that area?

One of my grandfathers brothers took his own life but it wasn't in any big paper, it was in a local one. [and it went into detail too] the death cert did state that 'he poisoned himself by taking spirits of salts, being at the time in an unsound state of mind'
                                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-04-19, 09:33.
                                  Julie

Comment

I have just realised that you have probably seen all the things I found last night Ann, and I'm afraid that of course it doesn't answer your question of how he died. As Julie says, unless you can find a report of his death in a local paper the death cert is the only way to go.
                                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-04-19, 08:49.

Comment

I looked around to see if any papers were on line. Haringey is the district and they only have papers at the archives which are in Tottenham, I am guessing you are not in the area?

lots of info here about their archives

they do have local papers since 1855
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 05-04-19, 09:25.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

more links which are no help but might be interesting, Haringey seem slow to put anything on line.

here is their archive link

and also a list of publications about the area which might be useful if she had a few in the area:

All of that area was known as Middlesex for years, long after it was 'gone' I remember addressing christmas cards with Middx in my childhood to relatives in the area, so assume the papers such as the "middlesex county times" would cover the area after the county had gone, this is on BNA but can't see anything on there.

This must be the paper you need, they have just added 1877, so maybe you might be lucky and it might be there in a month or two:
                                        Explore and read 13624 pages of Tottenham and Edmonton Weekly Herald on the British Newspaper Archive, 24 years of history, local and international news stories, different and free sample issues to view everyday
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X