m.robson & co Gateshead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m.robson & co Gateshead

Just bee having a bit of a sort out and came across a 1d coin with M Robson & Co Gateshead on it. Wondered if anybody has a connection to it?
    trying to upload image

hope this works
    Last edited by gloryer; 30-03-19, 12:56.

Comment

It's a token issued by the company to be spent in the company shop. There's one currently on eBay and others seem to have come up for sale in the past. Googling produces nothing on the company. It's possible there's something about it in the archives held at Beamish museum.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I remember a shop when I was a child which gave these coins. They were a dividend whi h you could cash in at certain times of the yer for cash or goods.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          I remember a shop when I was a child which gave these coins. They were a dividend whi h you could cash in at certain times of the yer for cash or goods.

OC
          And made illegal by the Truck Acts (if I remember correctly) which outlawed these "tied" arrangements.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
            And made illegal by the Truck Acts (if I remember correctly) which outlawed these "tied" arrangements.
            Interesting - weren't some towns trying to introduce something like this. Is it because they were paid with the coins, so had no choice?

What was the shop? did it sell everything or their own products? Was it supposed to be a 'bargain' (eg staff discount) or just the going price?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The shop I remember was.just an ordinary local grocer, trying to compete with the Co op, which gave divi. Not the same thing which UJ was talking about.

OC

Comment

so almost like giving the employees luncheon vouchers - I think there were tax incentives or something with these?

Interesting - if we reintroduced it would mean people would have to shop local
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

No, it was the original loyalty card! Wish I could remember the name of the shop, but quite a few did it. Then came green shield stamps and the red ones, what were they called?

OC

Comment

I was going to mention green shield stamps, and of course co-op. Not sure I know the red ones.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      No, it was the original loyalty card! Wish I could remember the name of the shop, but quite a few did it. Then came green shield stamps and the red ones, what were they called?

OC
                      Actually Pink Stamps (a UK operation of S&H Green Stamps) [who obviously couldn't market green stamps in the UK]. I can just about remember them.
                      In the early 50's I remember that packets of Hornimans Tea included "stamps" which could be exchanged for gifts. On a less healthy note, some of the cigarette companies did something similar, for which the rather sick joke was that you could save up for your coffin.

Comment

Working...
                      X