Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connell/O'Connell Galway Ireland.

I am researching a Patrick Connell born 1837 Tuam, Galway

From his marriage certificate his father was Richard a farmer.

The only Patrick Connell I can find with a father Richard is the following

First name(s) Patrick
    Last name O'Connell
    Birth year -
    Baptism year 1838
    Baptism date 29 Apr 1838
    Parish Dunmore
    Diocese Tuam
    County Galway
    Country Ireland
    Father's first name(s) Richard
    Father's last name O'Connell
    Mother's first name(s) Mary
    Mother's last name Tiernan
    Repository National Library of Ireland

Any thoughts on this being the right one, greatly appreciated.
    He is listed as O'Connell on marriage record, but on certificate Connell

thanks
    Jan x
    Last edited by Janet H.; 18-03-19, 21:04.

From the information you've given it's impossible to say whether this is the right one or not. I can see Patrick in the 1911 census with Clara, but whether his age is accurate is another matter - only previous census/marriage records will confirm how consistent he was about that. A tree on Ancestry (yours?) follows him from 1861 & he does seem consistent, which is always a bonus!

Have you looked for siblings? Looks like there was a sister named Bridget baptised in 1840, and I see from the tree that Patrick's children include Lawrence & Richard Lawrence. There is a Laurence Connell born Galway c1827 living in Ancoats/Manchester from the 1850's onwards. His wife is Bridget (nee Howard) & I think they married in 1849. One of their children was named Patrick.

From the Catholic register indexes I can also see that a Laurentius (Lawrence) Connell was sponsor/godfather at the 1871 baptism of Laurentius Carroll at Manchester, St. Wilfrid, Hulme - possibly your Patrick's son?

Comment

Just checked the indexes again (I was obviously being a bit slow the first time!), and yes, the 1871 baptism was 'your' Patrick's son:

1871 CONNELL Patricii Father of: Laurentius CONNELL [baptised] at Manchester, St. Wilfrid, Hulme
      1871 GANNON Annae Mother of: Laurentius CONNELL at Manchester, St. Wilfrid, Hulme
      1871 CONNELL Laurentius Godfather of: Laurentius CONNELL at Manchester, St. Wilfrid, Hulme
      Last edited by teasie; 19-03-19, 01:04.

Comment

Well done Teasie! where are you finding all of these Irish records? can you work your magic on my Ann Larkin/s? b. abt. 1843 'somewhere' in Ireland?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          Ann Larkin/s? b. abt. 1843 'somewhere' in Ireland?
          Do you have any references for your Ann Larkin/s, Julie?

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
            Do you have any references for your Ann Larkin/s, Julie?
            Hi Bev,
            Her age varies a little she dies before the 1891 census so I have zero idea of where in Ireland she came from, I do know she was catholic though as she had her children baptised in RC churches.

I do have links to the 2 census entries that she is on if those would be any good, but they just say Ireland for POB. [on her marriage certs she gives her father as a Matthew Larkin occupation labourer] but on another she gives her fathers name as James Larkin - Licensed Victualler.... I strongly think that she may well be illegitimate.

1871:https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...73&usePUB=true

1881: https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...&rhSource=7619

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-03-19, 09:24.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

H Teasie

Thank you so much for that.
              I was searching for weeks and weeks and this was the first breakthrough I had found.
              Ann Gannon was Patrick's first wife, and he married Clara after Ann had passed away.

Laurence born 1871 died in 1873 and they had another son who they named Richard Laurence 1876.

Julie
              Yes me too I would love to know where Teasie gets her Irish stuff from

Comment

Teasie
                Forgot to ask
                Was Bridget (sister of Patrick) born in Ireland also ?

Laurence Connell born Galway c1827 living in Ancoats/Manchester from the 1850's onwards. His wife is Bridget (nee Howard) & I think they married in 1849. Is he a brother of Patrick 1838 ?

Comment

Hi again

Yes, Bridget was baptised in Ireland. If this link works you should see it on the left hand page - baptised 8 Dec 1840
                  This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

The Manchester stuff is from a fiddly online index which doesn't link all the entries together - ie when you search for a baptism it doesn't tell you the parents or sponsor, you have to search each name separately and then put them together like I did above - but as there were several Connell/O'Connell entries it might be worthwhile obtaining the CD as that's more user friendly. https://www.mlfhs-shop.co.uk/collect.../products/1680

I haven't found a baptism in Ireland for Laurence but I think there's a strong likelihood that they're brothers, or possibly cousins. I'll let you know if I find anything more.

Comment

Thanks again ;D

Comment

Working...
                    X