Asking for a friend on this one ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for a friend on this one ..

Can anyone work out where Thomas Jones is before 1901 or who his parents are?
    Thomas Jones born abt 1872 (age on marriage cert. in 1903 is 31). He marries Eliza Guest in Tylorstown. The marriage certificate says his father is Richard Jones (deceased). The 1911 and 1901 census say he's born in Halesowen, Worcestershire (they marry after they have had some children despite saying they have been married for 16 years on the 1911)?

Any clues greatfully recieved to pass on!

Thanks

what does it say is Richards Occupation

Comment

I have failed miserably and can only find 1911 and 1901 census with a different wife.....called Amy.

did you find them on ancestry? can you pots links?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        I have failed miserably and can only find 1911 and 1901 census with a different wife.....called Amy.

did you find them on ancestry? can you pots links?
        I too only found Amy on the censuses.
        Do you have the link to these two censuses?

I found their marriage though.
        Marriages Jun 1903
        Guest Eliza Pontypridd 11a 873
        Jones Thomas Pontypridd
        EDIT:
        I couldn't find on Ancestry - surprise - but found them on FMP
        RG13
        Piece number 5019
        Folio 134
        Page 5
        Thomas Jones Head Married Male 30 1871 Coal Above Ground Labourer Worcestershire, England
        Eliza Jones Wife Married Female 28 1873 - Staffordshire, England
        Alfred Jones Son Single Male 5 1896 - Tylorstown, Glamorganshire, Wales
        William H Jones Son Single Male 4 1897 - Tylorstown, Glamorganshire, Wales
        Matilda Jones Daughter Single Female 0 1901 - Tylorstown, Glamorganshire, Wales
        Thomas Williams Boarder Single Male 25 1876 Coal Above Ground Labourer Brecon, Breconshire, Wales
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-03-19, 00:13.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

1911 same address as 1901 - 26 Brynbedw Road Tylorstown Rhondda, Rhondda, Glamorganshire, Wales
          Thomas Jones Head Married Male 42 1869 Colliery Labourer Surface Worcestershire Halesowen
          Eliza Jones Wife Married Female 37 1874 - Staffordshire Dadley
          Alfred Jones Son Single Male 15 1896 Collier Boy Underground Glam Tylorstown
          Willie Jones Son - Male 14 1897 Collier Boy Underground Glam Tylorstown
          Matilda Jones Daughter - Female 10 1901 School Glam Tylorstown
          Leneard Jones Son - Male 8 1903 School Glam Tylorstown
          May Jones Daughter - Female 6 1905 School Glam Tylorstown
          Evelyn Jones Daughter - Female 3 1908 - Glam Tylorstown
          Ernest Jones Son - Male 1 1910 - Glam Tylorstown
          Kat

Comment

This is them in 1901 on Ancestry ..........

Name Age
            Thomas Jones 30 b.ca 1871, Ailesowen, Worcestershire
            Eliza Jones 28 b.ca 1873, Sedgely, Staffordshire
            Alfred Jones 5 b.cq 1896, Tylorstown, Glamorgan
            William H Jones 4 b.ca 1897, Tylorstown
            Matilda Jones 7 Months b.ca 1900, Tylorstown
            Thomas Williams 25 Boarder

Address:- 25 Brynbedw Rd

1911 Census

Thomas Jones 42 b.ca 1869, Halesowen, Worcestershire
            Eliza Jones 37
            Alfred Jones 15
            Willie Jones 14
            Matilda Jones 10
            Leonard Jones 8
            May Jones 6
            Evelyn Jones 3
            Ernest Jones 1

I found them by using Alf* b.ca 1896 +/1, Glamorgan, father Thomas, mother Eliza
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I can find a Thomas Jones, born 1872 Halesowen, father John, mother Lucy on the 1881 Census, and his baptism on England Select Births and Baptisms ............

I cannot find him in 1891

Plus, this seems to be the one married to Amy

but "your" Thomas seems to always say 1870 +/1, and father Richard.
              Last edited by Sylvia C; 16-03-19, 03:05.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sorry I haven't replied sooner! Yes we couldn't find him anywhere before 1901 but then I guess it's a hard name to follow! Thanks for trying

Comment

I found these possibles on 1891 census last night, wrote them up and didn't post them before I went to bed:(
                  Of course they are not really helpful as again not with parents or siblings.

Thomas Jones Boarder Single Male 24 1867 Coal Miner Worcestershire, England
                  RG12 Piece number 4435 Folio 64 Page 37
                  Edward Street, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire, Wales

Thomas Fred Jones Boarder Single Male 20 1871 General Labourer Worcestershire, England
                  RG12 Piece number 4350 Folio 51 Page 43
                  Upper Ellic Street, Llanover, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
                  Kat

Comment

did you look at the occupation of his father?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

just to note in 1844 Halesowen moved from Shropshire to Worcestershire, so might be weird and took a while for people to accept it...but unlikely.

registration district is Stourbridge, at least 6 registered around that time!
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

All the boys were registered with the surname Jones mmn Guest, so it appears to have been the same wife before and after the marriage.The most usual reason (but not always) for a marriage mid the births of children was that one partner was already married.
                        However, I'm currently working on a similar scenario where there doesn't appear to have been a previous marriage for either party. Won't say any more because I might want to post a thread about it. (It's the circumstances of the marriage itself that is unusual in my case, rather than it being just a matter of marrying after the birth of the children.)

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-03-19, 12:48.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Carolyn - no occupation given

Comment

Janet, the marriage cert has widow crossed out and re-written spinster! So we did wonder about Eliza being married eofre bit have not come up with anything!

Comment

Edit ignore wrong dob

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 16-03-19, 13:52. Reason: Wrong dob

Comment

On the marriage cert, what was the name & occupation of Eliza's father?
                                We know that both of them were in Wales in the mid 1890's because of the Pontypridd birth registrations. However I was wondering when and where they might have met (England or Wales) in the hope that it might help with narrowing down the origins of Thomas. SO many Tom Joneses in South Wales, lol, apart from the famous one from Pontypridd we all know about, although he is actually Tommy Woodward.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sorry - it says Richard is a labourer!

Comment

Janet - Eliza and her sisters were illegitimate as far as we can tell as her mum Sophia doesn't seem to be married (they have her maiden name and she is unmarried on the census) until later on. The father on the marriage cert. is her stepfather. The family story is that they ran away to get married but no one knows why!!

Comment

Working...
                                    X