Union Workhouse Barnsley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Workhouse Barnsley

I have Stephen Musgreave on the 1861 census in the Union Workhouse Barnsley. He died in 1864.
    Is there anywhere I can look to see when he went in and if he died in there

Thank you
    Ann

Barnsley Archives hold the records. Looked on the web site below.

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thank you Lin. I will look at the link
      Regards
      Ann

Comment

Alternatively, you could buy the death certificate. That will tell you what he died of, and whether he died in the Workhouse.

OR you could see if you can find a Parish Register for his death, that will say if he came from the Workhouse.

What does the 1861 Census say for his occupation?? Does it say inmate, pauper or something similar OR does it say patient?

The latter means that he was in the hospital section of the workhouse .............. the infirmary part of any workhouse also served as a place for local people to go when ill or giving birth.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hello Sylvia
          I cannot find a parish register for this. It says Inmate on the 1861 census.
          I will ask my friend if she wants to get the certificate
          Thank you for your help
          Regards Ann

Comment

This is the GRO Index death registration for the Stephen Musgrave who died in 1864 ..........

MUSGRAVE, STEPHEN 89
            GRO Reference: 1864 J Quarter in BARNSLEY UNION Volume 09C Page 8
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Oh dear Sylvia, That looks like he died in the workhouse.
              Thank you once again
              Regards Ann

Comment

Worth remembering that the workhouse was often the local hospital as well.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hello Uncle John
                  Yes I must keep that in mind and hope that is where he was
                  Thank you
                  Ann

Comment

Working...
                  X