Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pub name in Burton End, Stansted

Can anyone help.
    My mum is from Stansted Mountfitchet and says the pub in Burton End was called The Thatch. Is this the Ash? Does anyone know. My family were 'beer seller' in Burton End.
    Thx Debbie

Welcome to the forum Debbie, I've moved your post to the Family History Research page where it will be seen by more people.

Comment

There's a section on the Ash here on a pub history site

Comment

Hi Debbie,
        I notice The Ash has a thatched roof. I wonder if it was known locally as 'the thatch'. We have a pub called The Royal Oak close to us known locally as 'the splash' because it is next to a ford.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

What era did your Mum think this? Like Kat says could just be what the locals knew it as.

I see the link that Jill posted doesn't make mention of the name being different, so assume the entries in the directory are for the Ash. There are some of these directories on line, might be worth a double check.

I can see that they have some Essex ones in this, site is always really slow :(
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 13-03-19, 15:33.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you all for your responses.
            I think it is the local name.

I have discovered my Great Great Grandfather
            Benjamin Pryor was the publican for a long time.
            Just trying to work out who his parents were...

Comment

Working...
            X