Help with bride's surname, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with bride's surname, please

After 30+years, I've finally unearthed the 1708 marriage record of one set of 5xgt-grandparents - but I'm not sure of the bride's surname;D All suggestions welcome. (John Cork married Katherine ????)

John Cork & Katherine.jpg

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Looks like Shioros to me

Edit - could be Shores

Sorry, not much help lol
    Last edited by tessie31082; 10-03-19, 16:03.

Comment

Shores?
      Thought it was a capital H but now I think Sh...
      thought this before seeing Tessie's post.
      Anne

Comment

Can you put a bit more of the document up and see if we can see letters from other words? the r is the same as r in married, and looks like convincing Os

Is it even a double f ? Although that makes no sense

is that "were married" or is the were part of her name?
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 10-03-19, 18:51.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

My initial guess was Sheres...that makes no sense though. Looking again it looks like Shioros. The "o" looks like "e" when you look at the other words there.....
          Last edited by Tilly Mint; 10-03-19, 19:09.
          Jacky

Comment

Yes, Carolyn, it is "were married."
            My first thought was that it was Shaws, then I wondered if she was Katherine Hows.
            All the writing is very "calligraphic" - lots of little sections for some of the letters.
            I'm not sure I can post a more extended image for copyright reasons, so let's hope this link works.
            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Oh, there is a Katherine "Sheres" in Norfolk but too early for your's, Jay - 1500s "tut" .
              Jacky

Comment

Sorry - the family search link doesn't work - perhaps a mod could delete the link, please.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                  My initial guess was Sheres...that makes no sense though. Looking again it looks like Shioros. The "o" looks like "e" when you look at the other words there.....
                  I agree, I think the second o looks like an e in the "were' and the first is an o

I would go for Shores when comparing the h in Wittingham in a couple of lines above.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

link worked for me
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Looks like "shoros", the bilateral "o" matches "cork" and the "s" on the end matches "banns".

Comment

Thanks folks. I'll have to do a bit more digging and see if I can find any earlier matches for a possible Katherine, as and when my poor old eyes allow. The writing in the PR for this parish is atrocious and I don't think it's been indexed. I found the marriage in the (un-indexed) ATs/BTs, but unfortunately some are missing. Still, I'm thrilled to have found this marriage record - I've known for years that the couple's daughter married in the next parish in 1742; a week ago I found her 1718 bp and now I've got her parents' marriage. I'm on a roll!

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Now I know where to look, I've found the same record in PR - definitely begins with SH and ends with a Y?????

1708 PR marr John Cork & Kath 2.jpg

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sherry? my friend has this surname
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Carolyn - it does resemble Sherry.
                              Someone has put a tree on Ancestry and they have her as Katherine STORY, d/o Phillip and Margaret Story, bp North Repps, 2 Dec 1680. They have added an image of the relevant N Repps PR - however, as far as I can see, the record in the image is for a MARGARET Story, not Katherine. This couple also had a daughter Mary Story bp nearby Sidestrand in July 1678. Can't get a handle on them having a daughter Katherine though.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                              X