No announcement yet.

In two places on 1881

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one in 2 places but makes sense as he was away in a boarding house (travelling salesman). Looks like he went there for the night for a meal!

and his wife was still at home....
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

seems to have happened quite regularly.

The Enumerator didn't always conduct the his work ON the exact day, so wife could say husband at home because that is where she expected him to be on the date, but he was actually somewhere else (eg a travelling saesman), and he would get marked down there.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I have at least 4 different people recorded in two places on various censuses.
        Anne

Comment

Considering its supposed to be where you actually were on a certain date, seems a lot did not take any notice of that.

Comment

must be unusual to have a 'home' and be in an institution though.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Val .............

the census was "conducted" on a certain date .............. but how many Enumerators would be able to get to ALL the houses on their assigned list on "the night of ....."

Come to that .............we had to do our last census online ............. I wonder how many people went on that site way ahead of "the night of". Knowing computer sites, if everyone in Canada had gone online to the same site at the same time even allowing for the 5 different time zones ............. the site would have crashed, probably every time a new time zone was eligible. :D

I think the UK has had a census that was completed online, didn't they?
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

of course I was thinking that the householder filled them in der

Comment

I got the impression that is only in recent times that the forms were left for longer with the residents, here is says only a matter of days. We only see the enumerators summary, I knew that the 1911 census was 'advertised' as the first time we were to see our ancestors handwriting, but don't think I had realised all the others were destroyed. In my case of dual entry I assume that the family thought as he was there most of the time and just away for the night they misunderstood and put him down in his usual address, and then he was down in the boarding house also.

this is what ancestry says about the 1881 census:

About 1881 England Census

The 1881 British Isles Census was taken on the night of 3 April 1881. The following information was requested:

• Name of street, avenue road, etc.
                  • House number or name
                  • Whether or not the house was inhabited
                  • Number of rooms occupied if less than five
                  • Name of each person that had spent the night in that household
                  • Relationship of person enumerated to the head of the family
                  • Each person's marital status
                  • Age at last birthday (sex is indicated by which column the age is recorded in)
                  • Each person's occupation
                  • Person's place of birth
                  • Whether deaf and dumb, blind, imbecile or idiot, or lunatic.

Enumeration forms were distributed to all households a couple of days before census night and the complete forms were collected the next day. All responses were to reflect the individual's status as of 3 April 1881 for all individuals who had spent the night in the house. People who were travelling or living abroad were enumerated at the location where they spent the night on census night. All of the details from the individual forms were later sorted and copied into enumerators' books, which are the records we can view images of today. The original householders schedules from 1841 to 1901 were destroyed.

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Carolyn, interesting reading

Comment

Working...
                    X