Ancestry tree hints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry tree hints

I'm so sick of ancestry equating my family with other people and families that have nothing in common.

Sometimes the only information that matches, is the name of the person!? The birth/marriage/death info, parents, spouse and children is often all wrong, so not the same person....some are even 100 yrs or more out! And quite often the people it "matches" yours with were from other countries!

You have an option to integrate the information from other trees into your own, but you can't delete or ignore trees that don't match.....maybe they should enable this. With some kind of rating system for information in said trees, as sometimes half the info is incorrect about the family, but wrong family members have been attached....

I think they should change the way they search their databases for you in hints too. If you don't have any information on an individual, but you have birth years for kids in say 1690's, then obviously their parents won't appear in the census of 1881....so maybe change the algorithym to search based of birth dates of spouse and kids too.

I've noticed the hints have had a much wider time span than a few years ago, I get them for centuries after a person was born or died.

Comment

I suggest you contact ancestry like the 1000s of other people who regularly bring this up.

The worst hints are the pictures. I've got the hints switched off for my main tree and just ignore them for others.

Their search system is all to pot as well. That wouldn't be quite so bad and certainly more workable if only you could sort their findings.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I would NEVER choose to integrate anything from anyone's tree however I do look at them and if something looks interesting I use it as a clue to do the searching myself. If I can't find out for myself how someone else got some information I just leave it out. Quite often in my experiencethe hints to other trees are for the same people as mine. However the general hints are sometimes just plain stupid, but occasionally they come up with something I haven't been aware of so still worth casting an eye over.
        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
          I suggest you contact ancestry like the 1000s of other people who regularly bring this up.

The worst hints are the pictures. I've got the hints switched off for my main tree and just ignore them for others.

Their search system is all to pot as well. That wouldn't be quite so bad and certainly more workable if only you could sort their findings.
          Yes, the search system is much worse than it used to be. I generally turn to FMP to search these days.
          Anne

Comment

I personally don't have an issue with 'hints', I find more often than not I generally have more info that the hint tree anyway! Some I look at and wonder how they arrived at a particular reasoning and then that'll catch my eye. Very rarely do I have a hint tree that is wrong!..
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              I personally don't have an issue with 'hints', I find more often than not I generally have more info that the hint tree anyway! Some I look at and wonder how they arrived at a particular reasoning and then that'll catch my eye. Very rarely do I have a hint tree that is wrong!..
              I use them, and it often gives me a clue on a set of children. Certainly really handy when they add a new set of records.

they could improve algorithm and include more dates like you say, also group them into highly likely and maybes.

I would like to be able to dismiss them all for a person, rather than one at a time.

what I was hoping was to use the hints in FMP using my tree from ancestry, to identify different records held on there, but ancestry auto adds "esidence" on census and fmp has "census" so every census found is not recognised by FMP.....be nice to tell fmp not to give me a census hint!

think I will have to edit gedcom with a find and replace and have another go!
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
              X