No announcement yet.

Interesting Electoral Register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yes, the Navy, I must admit I don't know what service men do for a vote, I suppose they are 'stationed' somewhere and these days will get a postal vote.

I came across the Duke of Bedford the other day when looking for Hoopers, made me smile it had been transcribed as the "date of Bedford"
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      Oh yes, the Navy, I must admit I don't know what service men do for a vote, I suppose they are 'stationed' somewhere and these days will get a postal vote.

I came across the Duke of Bedford the other day when looking for Hoopers, made me smile it had been transcribed as the "date of Bedford"
      In 1970's general election, my RN father was stationed in Hong Kong and both he and my mother got postal votes. It should have been my first time voting as they had just lowered the voting age and I was there on a "gap year" so was 19 - they had not thought about dependents being old enough to vote and I am still miffed that they had disenfranchised me.

In fact, I only voted in 1974 (twice) and then went to work in Belgium where I was allowed a proxy vote a couple of times after they changed the rules, until 1991 when it all stopped again because I had lived there for more than 15 years - couldn't vote in Belgium though.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

interesting, to hear.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

My eldest left home in 1984 to join the services. I had a proxy vote for her. She married, divorced, left the Army and joined the Airforce, remarried and bought a house 400 miles away fro me and in 1994 I STILL had a proxy vote for her, lol (Which I never actually used, but still...)

OC

Comment

Working...
          X