Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was his job?

Help with this one, please 1717 job.jpg

Sorry the image clip is poor quality. His mate was a wool comber, so I'm guessing it may have been something to do with the Norfolk wool trade.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-03-19, 17:37.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Looks like Latin?? I see 'Norfoliea Pellicaritt'. LOL
    Can't wait to see what it really says!
    Anne

Comment

Think you are on to something Anne, Google translate tells me that pellicula is Latin for skin or hide so it looks like a word from that root.

Comment

When was it? Is the first word just trying to tell us that it was specific to Norfolk?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have just put "pellic" into the BNA and it comes up with pellices and pellicate manufactures...but not sure I am any the wiser. I don't have a BNA sub
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 05-03-19, 19:49.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thanks ladies.
            My guess was that it may have been to do with fellmongering or with treating the fleeces in some way. Wasn't Norfolk a big sheep rearing and allied wool trade area?

Apologies for the poor quality - the writing on the original record was faded and quite hard to decipher. I suppose familysearch will transcribe and index this batch of records, then they too will vanish from the site.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

pellices.JPG

I assume that this is correct - unless OCR deciphering it incorrectly
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

I knew from English Literature studies that a pelisse was a fur trimmed garment and apparently the word was also used at one time to describe long coats made of furs. "Pellicius" was the latin adjective to describe something made from skin, or "pellicia" if the object was assigned the feminine gender.So, I guess my man worked with animal skins - probably from sheep, rabbits, and moles rather than hides from cattle or deer. There seems to be some overlap with the job description of fellmonger, which can be used for the person who prepares and treats animal skins before tanning and/or a person who deals in cured animal skins. So, not the cleanest and most fragrant of jobs I guess!

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 06-03-19, 16:56.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I wonder why we no longer use the term. Internet doesn't know what it is!

I did look at paper and it was correctly transcribed, strange mix of welsh flannels and and pellice. Says winter so maybe more fur?
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    I wonder why we no longer use the term. Internet doesn't know what it is!

I did look at paper and it was correctly transcribed, strange mix of welsh flannels and and pellice. Says winter so maybe more fur?
                    Perhaps we need a return of "Call my bluff":D

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

great idea
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                      X