Ancestry Lifestory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Lifestory

anybody checked any of theirs??? this is one of mine , all the facts are correct on my Tree but this isn't ,and I cannot find a way to edit it, I'll highlight the mistakes

and the others are all wrong too

When Miriam Rebecca Guttentag/Rose was born on 14 May 1870 in Mile End, Suffolk, her father, Abraham, was 36, and her mother, Susan, was 35. She had one son with Charles George Macks in 1907. She died on 8 May 1933 in Bancroft, South Dakota, USA, at the age of 62, and was buried in East Ham, Essex.

my great great grandfather 22 March 1914 in Devonshire, Bermuda,
    another one for him Middlesex, Ontario, Canada

what is the point of having this?
    Last edited by Guest; 28-02-19, 22:08.

I think the only way to correct it is to have the full address with the country. It is not so good.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Ooh, I came across some of this daftness on a tree I am contributing to and wondered the same thing, what is the point?! The other thing that was very irritating was the historical notes - "your relative may have gone to the Great Exhibition". Or maybe they didn't, who knows or cares!

OC

Comment

load of rubbish isn't it OC? I am going to have to go through around 7000 names and change the details am I ? I think not am going to email Ancestry.
        Last edited by Guest; 28-02-19, 23:05.

Comment

I think Carolyn has hit the right nail. Trouble is WE know where we mean if I just put Carlisle .... but putting a place name in without all the correct string will result in such daftness. Its the geocoding that does it. Before I uploaded my tree to Ancestry I spent about four weeks going through all my place names to make them watertight. 'Carlisle, Cumberland, England' does the trick (if it is before 1976 anyway)

Val, in Family Historian there is a place to edit place names. Maybe FTM has the same thing and then you could synch to Ancestry if it works like that?
          Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 01-03-19, 06:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            I think Carolyn has hit the right nail. Trouble is WE know where we mean if I just put Carlisle .... but putting a place name in without all the correct string will result in such daftness. Its the geocoding that does it. Before I uploaded my tree to Ancestry I spent about four weeks going through all my place names to make them watertight. 'Carlisle, Cumberland, England' does the trick (if it is before 1976 anyway)

Val, in Family Historian there is a place to edit place names. Maybe FTM has the same thing and then you could synch to Ancestry if it works like that?
            Anne
            I went through all mine using Family Historian a while back to make sure that they were correct. It took time but well worth it - I use FH and it still took me 2 days on and off. The format for ancestry has to be city, county, state, country (no abbreviations except USA) - the important thing is putting country.

* Standardizing locations in Family Tree Maker Answer ID 3070 How can I edit a location and standardize my locations in Family Tree Maker? Family Tree Maker contains a database of more than 3
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              load of rubbish isn't it OC? I am going to have to go through around 7000 names and change the details am I ? I think not am going to email Ancestry.
              I wouldn't bother Val, I have amended all of mine to correct geographical tags... ie Whitwick, Leicestershire, United Kingdom and it STILL has silly ideas that some places are in Connecticut!.. it's mad, like Carolyn has said it wouldn't be so bad if we could edit it and put it right or drag the pin to where it should be!
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Family tree maker will change the places of everyone, if you change, then you can synch back. I do have a go every now and again, just as it looks 'tidy' rather than for the story, but still loads to do. It did seem to make a difference on the few I tried. But like OC says not really sure if I was bothered by some of the facts that they added anyway.

However I do like the idea that it builds a picture of their lives (so the theory is good), and highlights what was going on at the time. I suppose the best thing would be for me to select events I want to include.

One feature I would love on any of the sites is the direct descendants to be a different colour....sometimes I get a bit lost, when names are all similar...but guess that is another subject.

so does family historian synch or do you just upload new tree?
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-03-19, 09:49.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Not sure Carolyn, I use FTM2017.

I'm currently sat ticking boxes for my place names to be resolved..... tedious but will see if this will at last sort the problem!
                  Julie

Comment

Why not just turn off the Lifestory option? Stops these daft things happening in the first place. I’ve also seen a few glorious errors in trees where this option is turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      Why not just turn off the Lifestory option? Stops these daft things happening in the first place. I’ve also seen a few glorious errors in trees where this option is turned on.
                      I suppose that is one way GL :smilee:
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        Not sure Carolyn, I use FTM2017.

I'm currently sat ticking boxes for my place names to be resolved..... tedious but will see if this will at last sort the problem!
                        Yes that is what I use, then synch it back to Ancestry. Over the years I have ended up with different addresses...which are the same eg moved county, added exact number and other times I have not, so I gradually try and tidy them up. and at the same time will put them in country and county....like you say tedious, I started on an old version of FTM just when Ancestry got rid of it...and ended up it crashing and losing a load of stuff, so gave up for a while.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Family Historian does not synch to Ancestry. That's one of the many things I like about it
                          Anne

Comment

Could just ignore it Galloway, but in principle it could be worth having, its nice to see what was going on at the time of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              Yes that is what I use, then synch it back to Ancestry. Over the years I have ended up with different addresses...which are the same eg moved county, added exact number and other times I have not, so I gradually try and tidy them up. and at the same time will put them in country and county....like you say tedious, I started on an old version of FTM just when Ancestry got rid of it...and ended up it crashing and losing a load of stuff, so gave up for a while.
                              Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              Could just ignore it Galloway, but in principle it could be worth having, its nice to see what was going on at the time of their lives.
                              Carolyn,
                              I spent yesterday sorting out ALL of my unknown place names, and it is now done, I am now waiting for FTM to allow me to sync [as it was red yesterday]
                              i'll have a look to see then if that has sorted my problem. I had over 1,000 places to check and verify but I think it will be well worth it. I'll let you know how I get on.

Same goes for you Val... watch this space.. and a BIG thank you to Caroline for posting the how to.. I never knew it was that simple!
                              Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-03-19, 08:06.
                              Julie

Comment

I was bogged down looking at Harlow images! I will watch this space, and will get editing if you find it is worth it. i did find that I had a few people that were in the same road/area that I hadn't spotted before, so I think it might be worth it.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                  Family Historian does not synch to Ancestry. That's one of the many things I like about it
                                  Anne
                                  just for info you don't have to synch, it also links to familysearch, but again only if you want.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn,

I have eventually got it to sync! [flipping thing!] resolving place names has sorted the issues with random places for births/deaths anything. I chose a person from my tree and checked it on Ancestry sure enough there were still anomalies, ok, I thought what can I do? I took out the exact address and just left it as Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England. instead of 31 Coronation Street, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England. it works the lifestory map now shows all of the places that should be here and no random places where they married or died... so maybe within FTM we can log the exact address? but just have the place showing in the main detail. Does that make sense? [off to have a look]
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      Carolyn,

I have eventually got it to sync! [flipping thing!] resolving place names has sorted the issues with random places for births/deaths anything. I chose a person from my tree and checked it on Ancestry sure enough there were still anomalies, ok, I thought what can I do? I took out the exact address and just left it as Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England. instead of 31 Coronation Street, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England. it works the lifestory map now shows all of the places that should be here and no random places where they married or died... so maybe within FTM we can log the exact address? but just have the place showing in the main detail. Does that make sense? [off to have a look]
                                      have just had a look at and it seems that it's the physical address, [number + street] that causes the issue as FTM/Ancestry doesn't recognise 'exact' :madd:

BUT. I have got around the issues by adding the actual number + street to the description field below the place field.
                                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-03-19, 12:56.
                                      Julie

Comment

this is what my FTM looks like when I 'resolve them. So I get stuck as it wants me to choose a 'district' and if it is not like that now it is hard to choose.

address.JPG

Eventually the place name menu starts looking like this
                                        address2.JPG

is that where you are getting to?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X