Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with victor

hi,
    i don't know if anyone can help me or not, but i am on a hunt for my late nans brother. I had heard the name mentioned in the past but it wasnt until nan's funeral that it was confirmed as her brother. I have very limited info on him and can find even less!

Name Victor Bland or Thompson (his mother was Amy Rose bland, his father was Arthur thompson - siblings have had both names), apparently he was 8 or 9years older than nan and she was born 1929, HOWEVER,, amy rose wasn't born until 1904, and this means she would have been 15/16 when she had him. The family were from cambridgeshire/norfolk depending on where they lived, but mainly outwell, upwell, wisbech, fenland. He was meant to have been in the navy or a sailor of some sort and died at sea about 1945.

Arthur was married to Amy's aunt Emma Jane Crockford, before her and had 5 sons, I don't know if Victor was 1 of them i have 4 names out of 5, this maybe more probable and he was just brought up with Arthur and Amy.

if anyone can find anything on him i would be very grateful.
    Amy
    Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 28-02-19, 18:29.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

If your referring to the Amy Rose Bland b 1904 Canning Town to Walter William and Sara Ann, there is

Victor A Bland b 1917 mmn Bland Rochford reg. But that would make Amy Rose a very young mother.

Amy Rose can be seen with Arthur in the 1939 with in Ely, Cambs. He was born 1876 or maybe that should read 1896.

Victor A b 1917 remains in the Essex area, marries.

Vera

Comment

Hi Amy,

There is a marriage:

Amy R Brand
      Arthur L Thompson
      June Q 1942
      Ely, Cambs 3 b - 1833

Death:

Amy R Thompson
      d. Sept 1953
      b abt 1905
      Cambridge 4a - 136

bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

arthur was alot older than amy rose 1876 is correct for his birth and they did marry, i have all her details and parents going way back as well as arthurs and his family going well back. it's just victor that has been an issue. i've not seen the record for his birth i shall take a look at that and may have to order cert, it would have made amy 13 when she had him and much older than was said at nans funeral.

edit, ive just gone to the GRO to try and order and its not showing on there. is there anywhere else can buy the certs?
        Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 01-03-19, 17:31.

Comment

On GRO

Victor Arnold Bland
          March q 1917
          Rochford reg
          Vol 04A Page 1151.

I was hoping the initial A would be for Arthur.

No mmn recorded- transcribed as Bland on Ancestry

Edit 1939 gives birth date as 20 Feb 1917

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 01-03-19, 17:51.

Comment

I know you can buy from the original register office, but thought they should be on GRO.

Although indexes are transcripts from the originating office....and as far as I know the index is still the same. The amount of re-recording is quite amazing.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Actually, she would only have been 12 when Victor was born. This does seem very unlikely and I think it even more unlikely that her parents would have allowed an ongoing relationship with a man so much older than herself while she was still a child.

OC

Comment

I'm not trying to complicate things but I am not seeing the births of Thompson/Crockford children?

OC

Comment

Is this his previous marriage?

Emma Jane Crockford, age 26, father Thomas Crockford
                  tp Arthur Thompson, father Valentine Thompson
                  married 28 October 1922, Dawnham Norfolk
                  Dec Q 1900
                  4b - 987

Found on ancestry.

I think I found them on the 1901 and 1911, but they have no children.

bcbrit
                  George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Actually, she would only have been 12 when Victor was born. This does seem very unlikely and I think it even more unlikely that her parents would have allowed an ongoing relationship with a man so much older than herself while she was still a child.

OC
                    hi,
                    i know what you mean, but they did let her marry him once she was of age, even though he had previously been married to her aunt. i don't think it's possible that this victor is her son because of ages. And if i'm honest i dont even believe that victor exists!
                    despite the family saying he was nans brother. sadly there is only my aunt alive and she wont have anything to do with the tree, i have only got back into it since nan died and you may remember a couple of years back she told i wasnt allowed to do it.

as for arthur and emmas "supposed 5 children" the details my uncle gave me before he died years ago were fred abt 1893, william arthur abt 1896, norman abt 1897, lawrence 1899 and ? 1901. 1911 census says none in children. so i am wondering if this is false family info that has been passed down.

I have found a death for a victor thompson in norwich in 1920 aged 1 (see below). This would match more with the age of Amy BUT doesn't match with the story of him dying at sea in in 1940's!

Victor Thompson
                    Death Age: 1
                    Birth Date: abt 1919
                    Registration Date: Sep 1920
                    Registration district: Norwich
                    Inferred County: Norfolk
                    Volume: 4b
                    Page: 109

Comment

i cant find a birth for the above victor though

Comment

Amy

I have had a really good look for Fred, William Arthur, Norman and Lawrence. Can't find any births for all four with the same mother's maiden name. The only remote possibility is a William Arthur Thompson born mar q 1896 in Yarmouth, 4b16, no mother's maiden name given.

Do you have these four on the 1901 census? Do you have your nan on the 1939 register? I am thinking you have been given duff information, either by mistake or maybe deliberately.

OC

Comment

Amy

I have had a really good look for Fred, William Arthur, Norman and Lawrence. Can't find any births for all four with the same mother's maiden name. The only remote possibility is a William Arthur Thompson born mar q 1896 in Yarmouth, 4b16, no mother's maiden name given.

Do you have these four on the 1901 census? Do you have your nan on the 1939 register? I am thinking you have been given duff information, either by mistake or maybe deliberately.

OC
                          hi,
                          thanks for looking, i do think it could all be false. this has been on file for so long as my uncle died in 1999, and nan said she had 5 1/2brothers which matched what my uncle said, but none of it matches up. the 5 siblings i will leave on for now, but its victor that is driving me mad!

no i dont have her on 1939 but i think she is one of those that has the black line and this record is officially closed through as she was still alive until last year. I have arthur and amy rose and 3 under it have black line through.

Amy

Comment

I agree the 1917 Victor A not likely to be yours given the dob of Amy Rose.

However, the Victor A b 1917 is living in 1939 with a couple who appear not to be related. He marries and remains in their home many years later.

Vera

Comment

I have an Arthur and Emma marriage in 1900, so the children before marriage?
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Cbcarolyn

Yes, that is the correct marriage but in 1901 and 1911 they have no children.

OC

Comment

sounds like there is some kind of family mystery, a lot of children to make up.

I guess why Nan not so keen at looking at the past
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

here is a fred, Emma on her own as parent

but Thompson ?

in the workhouse 1893
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

I'm wondering if Victor was the son of Bertha May Bland born 1898, who was Amy Rose's sister. A 19 year old mother seems more likely than a 12 year old mother.

OC

Comment

I'm wondering if Victor was the son of Bertha May Bland born 1898, who was Amy Rose's sister. A 19 year old mother seems more likely than a 12 year old mother.

OC
                                        maybe, and makes more sense on ages. and if he was brought up by arthur and amy would link to how believed to be a brother. think i need buy the birth certs for the 2 victors and see where they lead if any where.

thank you for your help on this puzzle.

Comment

Working...
                                        X