Guise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guise

Back in 1984 my Great Uncle Harold wrote a book called A CAPTAIN'S TALE by Captain H N Taylor

In the first chapter he writes about his family....his grandfather (My Great Grandfather) Charles Taylor born 1868 meeting his Grandmother at Cannes on the French Riviera.
    She originated in Roby, a village of Liverpool, where the Duke of Guise had found refuge from Republican France. He apparently had daughters only, who found their futures by marrying English men.
    However permission to marry carried the stipulation that the name Guise had to be adopted. Hence his mother Marie Guise was a twig upon the Guise family tree. She died when my Harold was 3 years old.

Harold was born 1899 he had two brothers Victor born 1898 and Ronald 1900 mother & father being Charles Taylor & Marie Guise

Once Marie Guise died around the year 1902 Charles remarried my Great Grandmother Florence Bennett................That is my connection back to Bartlett Bennett.

My question is ................Is Marie Guise really a twig upon the Guise Family Tree, or something that was made up to make a good family story? because i have not found any evidence to support this story.

i'm sorry this is so confusing.

so charles taylor b.1868 is your great grandfather? his first wife was marie guise died c.1902. they had three children, victor b.1898, harold b.1899 and ronald b.1900. then charles marries florence bennett and she is your great grandmother?

who is charles' grandmother from roby? why is she telling him about marie guise?

is marie guise charles taylor's wife or mother? you aren't making sense?

Comment

charles robert taylor married mary guise dec qtr 1896, prescot.

births in alverstoke, mother's name guise:

victor charles george taylor dec 1897
      harold norman taylor jun 1899

and ronald robert taylor dec 1900 alverstoke, mother's name guix

seems to be mary's death: mary taylor mar 1903, alverstoke age 31 b.1872

charles robert taylor m. florence bennett, mar 1904 alverstoke

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        i'm sorry this is so confusing.

so charles taylor b.1868 is your great grandfather? his first wife was marie guise died c.1902. they had three children, victor b.1898, harold b.1899 and ronald b.1900. then charles marries florence bennett and she is your great grandmother?

who is charles' grandmother from roby? why is she telling him about marie guise?

is marie guise charles taylor's wife or mother? you aren't making sense?
        MARIE GUISE is CHARLES TAYLORS first wife

Comment

Originally posted by karen michelle View Post
          Back in 1984 my Great Uncle Harold wrote a book called A CAPTAIN'S TALE by Captain H N Taylor

In the first chapter he writes about his family....his grandfather (My Great Grandfather) Charles Taylor born 1868 meeting his Grandmother at Cannes on the French Riviera.
          She originated in Roby, a village of Liverpool.......
          this is the part you didn't write clearly. hence the confusion. i think you meant to say harold was writing about his PARENTS meeting, not his GRANDPARENTS.

incidentally there is this "Baptism: 22 Oct 1871 St Bartholomew, Roby, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
          Mary Guise - [Child] of George Guise & Emma
          Abode: Roby
          Baptised by: George John Banner
          Register: Baptisms 1850 - 1884, Page 56, Entry 445"

Comment

Karen is asking whether the Duke of Guise story is likely to be true or not Kyle.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

and this:

Marriage: 19 Sep 1870 St Paul, Southport, Lancashire, England
              George Guise - 31, Groom, Bachelor, Roby Southport
              Emma Lunt - 25, Spinster, Cemetery Road
              Groom's Father: William Guise, Publican
              Bride's Father: James Lunt, Gardener
              Witness: David Cornall; Eliza. Lunt
              Married by Banns by: Thomas J. Clarke Vicar
              Register: Marriages 1864 - 1881, Page 64, Entry 127
              Source: LDS Film 1849662

you can search for more of the guise family here, for free:

OPC, Online Parish Clerk, family history, local history, free data, parish registers, census, Lancashire

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                Karen is asking whether the Duke of Guise story is likely to be true or not Kyle.
                i get that. however she didn't get her story clear. and the only way to figure it out is to research the family.

Comment

George and Emma are here in 1871 (in Huyton and Roby), he is a groom born c 1838 in Broughton Green, Worcestershire.

Comment

Marie Guise was just plain Mary from her birth registration, she is a servant at Harewood House in 1891 as Mary.

Comment

George Guise, son of William Guise an Ag Lab at Broughton Green in 1851. It looks like Marie/Mary may have invented an illustrious past, but what an experience to have worked at Harewood House.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                        George Guise, son of William Guise an Ag Lab at Broughton Green in 1851. It looks like Marie/Mary may have invented an illustrious past, but what an experience to have worked at Harewood House.
                        Thank you Jill, its a shame not to have any connection to The Guise Family Tree.

Apologies for not getting the story straight....but hey ho!!

Im now going to have a look at Harewood House, never heard of it.

Thanks again for all the info received today.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          and this:

Marriage: 19 Sep 1870 St Paul, Southport, Lancashire, England
                          George Guise - 31, Groom, Bachelor, Roby Southport
                          Emma Lunt - 25, Spinster, Cemetery Road
                          Groom's Father: William Guise, Publican
                          Bride's Father: James Lunt, Gardener
                          Witness: David Cornall; Eliza. Lunt
                          Married by Banns by: Thomas J. Clarke Vicar
                          Register: Marriages 1864 - 1881, Page 64, Entry 127
                          Source: LDS Film 1849662

you can search for more of the guise family here, for free:

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
                          Thank you Kyle will do

Comment

Karen .............

we all have some family story passed down to us that isn't quite true!

My gt grandfather allegedly died saving a child falling from a train carriage but fell out himself, and so was treated as a hero by many of his descendants.

Ah, no

When I found his death certificate and then the Coroner's report ......... he leant against a train carriage door as the train drew into a station. He wanted to see out of the window to see if they were at his station, but instead he was on the side of the train away from the platform, and fell out on to the tracks because the door had been insecurely fastened.

So ..... death caused by falling out of a train ............. true

Saving a child and being a hero ............. no
                            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

great story Sylvia
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Not sure if you have this info, Karen....

Last edited by Tilly Mint; 25-02-19, 21:11. Reason: error
                                Jacky

Comment

What a great story Sylvia

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                                  Karen .............

we all have some family story passed down to us that isn't quite true!

My gt grandfather allegedly died saving a child falling from a train carriage but fell out himself, and so was treated as a hero by many of his descendants.

Ah, no

When I found his death certificate and then the Coroner's report ......... he leant against a train carriage door as the train drew into a station. He wanted to see out of the window to see if they were at his station, but instead he was on the side of the train away from the platform, and fell out on to the tracks because the door had been insecurely fastened.

So ..... death caused by falling out of a train ............. true

Saving a child and being a hero ............. no

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                                    Not sure if you have this info, Karen....

http://griffiths-online.co.uk/tng/ge...1&tree=BG_TREE
                                    Thank you that’s brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by karen michelle View Post
                                      Thank you that’s brilliant
                                      There is an email address for a "Brian" there.....he may have more info for you, Karen.
                                      Jacky

Comment

Working...
                                      X