familysearch images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• familysearch images

why does familysearch make you sign up with them (for free), only to tell you you must go to one of their centres or affiliated centres to view indexed records? only unindexed records can be viewed at home.....seems counter productive to me...unless they have a deal with FMP or ancestry in place? whereby these records will be uploaded to their site, so won't be freely publicly available for a certain amount of time? very frustrating.
    Last edited by Caroline; 25-02-19, 07:38. Reason: Language Timothy!!

i)Some of the indexing is in a mess and ii)we don't all have access to a local LDS centre.
    I would have been happier if they'd left them all unindexed and available for browsing through. Whilst browsing, I was able to ferret around and came across all sorts of treasures I wouldn't have discovered had I been using an index. I thought the relevant record offices had given permission for the IMAGES to be available online for ALL. At first, they were - now what we have available to us when working from home are transcriptions only, which are secondary sources and should always be checked against the originals wherever possible. It would have helped if they had at least made all the images available at county record offices. My "local" LDS centres are not very local and are not accessible by public transport. As they are run by volunteers, the hours are sometimes evenings only, and if volunteers are available. I am very disappointed with the current provision.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 25-02-19, 08:39.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I am quite puzzled by all this.

The reason that the LDS church was allowed access to so many church records was their promise that these records would be available to EVERYONE, free of charge. I don't understand how they can now pick and choose which records are freely available and which are not.

I no longer have a local FHC because, as Janet says, it is run by volunteers, has very limited opening hours and often closes without warning. I am eternally grateful for the years when this centre ws available to me but I do feel sad that this wonderful resource is being quietly withdrawn.

OC

Comment

You can often get images by going direct to the catalogue instead of search.
        I usually start with the county and work from there down to the parish. If there is a film for what I want then this is indicated by a small camera icon. It can take a while for all the images to download but often, eg for a marriage, there is an index within the first few images for the groom's name and giving the page number (not the image number so you need to scroll to find it). It is a struggle sometimes !
        This blog demonstrates how it can be done if you get a transcription that has a film number on it. Note that it does not always work

Don’t you just hate it when you search for an ancestor on FamilySearch and you get a hit for what you know is the correct record, and then you see the dreaded “No image available”?  Well last...
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 25-02-19, 10:27.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Sadly I have found that some of the images which used to be available in the past through searching the catalogue are now unavailable for general online viewing. It is very disappointing.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes that's true Jay.
            What I don't understand is why we had been able to view these for many many years but their reason for not showing them now is "The microfilm may have been scanned, but have a contractual, data privacy, or other restriction preventing access". Surely that must have been in place from the time they filmed them???
            I have Norfolk ancestors and they are still free to view BUT not Bacton where my 3X great grandfather was from. I had to go to the NRO but even they will not let you copy them as they don't have permission from the church.
            Kat

Comment

Quite a few of the NE Norfolk parishes are no longer available, Kat. There are the ATs and BTs for some parishes, but they are not complete. My Kirks were in Bacton for about 6 years and I managed to find images of the bps I needed in the annual transcripts. But for a lot of my events, I can no longer view an image of the relevant PR entry. Moral of the story is, if you find an image you need, then download it pronto, before it gets whisked off into the ether.
              A lot of people did a lot of transcribing for the LDS site, believing that they were helping to produce an index which would enable other to find, retrieve and access the images. Some of them are NOT happy about the development.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I do know thatin pre internet days, some church registers were copied(transcribed) by well meaning people who did not have the necessary permission to do so. I can understand those not now being available.....but the rest??

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  Quite a few of the NE Norfolk parishes are no longer available, Kat. There are the ATs and BTs for some parishes, but they are not complete. My Kirks were in Bacton for about 6 years and I managed to find images of the bps I needed in the annual transcripts. But for a lot of my events, I can no longer view an image of the relevant PR entry. Moral of the story is, if you find an image you need, then download it pronto, before it gets whisked off into the ether.

Jay
                  Good advice Jay. I think this applies particularly to anyone with a tree on ancestry or other online tree. Census, bmd, burials, wills passenger lists - everything you find - download to your computer and save on a usb memory stick or other storage device. I once spent 3 days downloading all the images I had saved to an Ancestry tree when I realised that once my world Subscription ceased I would not be able to view them again.
                  Kat

Comment

Grrrr. In my notes I had a record of a 1776 marriage which took place at Hoveton St Peter, Norfolk. My source was recorded as an image from the parish records (so a primary source) which I'd viewed some years ago on family search. This image is no longer on family search, but turned up on Ancestry. Ancestry also had the Hoveton BTs/ATs - but 1776 is MISSING. Just the one BT (for 1776) is viewable on family search, but is just a note that a marriage took place in that village on that date and is a secondary source. (Seeing the original PR was important for me, because the groom was recorded as a widower, which tied in with my family an earlier marriage and subsequent burial of a young woman.) I also have in my notes a record that the groom was a mariner - again an important link in identifying the right groom out of several possibilities with the same fore and surname. I shall now have to go and "browse" for the marriage licence, these have not been indexed and are currently still on family search. I'm hoping 1) I can find it, and 2) it says mariner.
                    What a mess. Until the big change, familysearch was the most marvellous resource for Norfolk records.
                    And yes, I'm downloading and filing away any records I find.

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-02-19, 16:06.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      Good advice Jay. I think this applies particularly to anyone with a tree on ancestry or other online tree. Census, bmd, burials, wills passenger lists - everything you find - download to your computer and save on a usb memory stick or other storage device. I once spent 3 days downloading all the images I had saved to an Ancestry tree when I realised that once my world Subscription ceased I would not be able to view them again.
                      I use the family tree maker to synch and download all the images, have done for years. Briefly changed to rootsmagic - but the synching was awful, I have to say I can't imagine downloading all the records manually now.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                      X