X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir William Burnett /Bennett

Can anyone help.

Sir William Burnett /Bennett

What happened to FANNY BURNETT, the 20 year old daughter of Sir William listed in the 1841 census, living at Somerset House, London, together with her mother Maria and sister Margaret aged 30. The actual 1841 census document has all names incorrectly listed as Bennett then altered to Burnett. I can track all people, can see there was another daughter as listed Mary Elizabeth who is with them as a widow (now Todd) in the 1851 census.
    Despite weeks of work I can find no marriage or death certificate for his daughter FANNY. Can anyonr help??

Why am I asking?
    My great great grandfather was Bartlett Bennett, born Feb 1845 orphaned at birth with no father named on birth certificate. We have the birth certificate and its suggests the mother was Fanny Bennett but there has been pressure writing the name and we are wondering if this indeed is Fanny Burnett! We believe so as her place of abode at time of birth is stated as 1 Palace Place, Charring Cross, a prestigious address, the informant was Charlotte Warne/r/s.

What we do not understand is why Bartlett Bennett was then taken to Dinto, Teffont Magna and baptised April 1845, found to be with Sarah and James Larkham in 1851 and then funded through a fee paying public school Queen Wood College, Hampshire - census 1861. He also started adult life with a farm of 413 acres in Alverstoke, Hants. Who funded all of this?? Was it Sir William the child being his grandson? But incorrectly named?? Strange how Bartlett Bennett/Burnett was in Alverstoke, some of Sir Williams children were born there and he retired close by in Chichester.

Can anyone assist me to unravel??

We retain the Bartlett name even today as a middle name. BB went on to have children, Florence Bennett was my great grandmother who I knew as a child. She married Charles Taylor, their son EDWARD BARTLETT TAYLOR was my grandfather

He ALWAYS told me that Great Granny Taylor (Florence Taylor nee Bennett) had a secret landed gentry connection. Could my story above be true?
    That Bartlett Bennett was in fact Bartlett Burnett the illegitimate grandson of Sir William?

On your thread about Bartlett, we seem to have found a possible siting of Fanny Bennett, mother of Bartlett, living in Wiltshire with a Sarah Dixon, age 60, both shown as being of Independent Means.

To save us duplicating your work, where have you been searching?

You say on the other thread that you do not have a sub to ancestry or to FMP.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 21-02-19, 21:59.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

the death record of the St Martin in the fields - that is mentioned on the other thread, is for a 37 year old, so this is not the same as the above Fanny, as in 1845 she would have been 24.

See transcriptions and links on this thread

What year was Fanny born?

Where does Sir William Burnett come into this? what records are these?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

FWIW ........

I have checked the image of the 1841 Census. It is indeed Burnett on the image, but plain William

William Bennett 62 born in Scotland, Inspector General of Naval Hospital & (nothing else)
        Maria Bennett 55 not born in county (Middlesex)
        Margaret Bennett 30 not born in county
        Fanny Bennett 20 not born in county

Address Somerset House

It is possible that he lived at Somerset House only because of his position with the Navy ........ he moved to Chichester on retirement.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          the death record of the St Martin in the fields - that is mentioned on the other thread, is for a 37 year old,so this is not the same as the above Fanny, as in 1845 she would have been 24.

See transcriptions and links on this thread

What year was Fanny born?

Where does Sir William Burnett come into this? what records are these?
          Carolyn .........

Fanny could have been older than 20 on the 1841 Census .......

remember ages on the 1841 for people over 15 were supposed to be rounded DOWN to the nearest 5. The enumerator didn't always do it, but the age of everyone on that 1841 household, except for William was shown as a round figure.

It means that Fanny Burnett could have been any age between 20 and 24 in 1841 ......... never-the-less, that is still too young to be the Fanny Bennett who died age 37 in 1845.

Comment

I think you need to invest in the wills of some of the Bennett or Burnett family. They could well mention provision for the child. Just to illustrate, we had a very long standing problem with six illegitimate children of the same mother who all did quite well in life. The will of the local well to do farmer made provision for them all, naming the mother (and also the children of two other mothers, 9 in total!!)
            Anne

Comment

GRO states Bartlett Bennett

www.gro.gov.uk - you can register and search for free.

bartlett.JPG

I assume as there is no mother maiden name in the box - Bennett is the maiden name? I don't think I have seen one without.

So I think You have 2 different Fanny Bennetts born 10 years apart.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Yes I agree - but it doesn't fit with the death record, and that is what the post started with. Maybe the death record is not the right one?

It does fit with the other census record that has been found.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn ............

the absence of a mmn on the new GRO Index USUALLY indicates that the child is illegitimate.

The one exception is if you have 2 people marrying with the same surname, in which case they don't seem to be able to separate a registration that has a father's name with same surname as the mother.

I have several cases of cousins marrying cousins, and I only know the children are legitimate because I have the evidence.

The other thing where GRO Index needs caution is deaths of children dying before the age of 12 ............ age is shown just as a number, no indication re month or year. So a child shown as 6 could be 6 months OR 6 years.

Comment

OR 6 weeks,6 days or 6 hours. It appears they are unable to solve the problem: Q19

Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-02-19, 08:08.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Sylvia
                      That's very true I don't have ancestry anymore.
                      I have had it on a trial period, and gain a little bits of information.
                      Then A friend of mine introduced me to Family Tree Forum suggesting I ask some questions and hopefully get help in my family's quest.
                      As I've said before I'm very new to all this and would really appreciate any help.
                      Kind regards
                      K

Comment

Hi Carolyn

William burnett in 1841 census is listed incorrectly as bennett, then later adjusted in brackets to burnett.
                        He is listed with his, wife Maria, daughters fanny 20 and Margaret 30.
                        He is living at the prestigious Somerset House, London.

In 1850 he was decorated and became Sir William Burnett of great acclaim.

Given such a well regarded and historically recorded/decorated man the family is easy to follow. Him, his wife, daughter Margaret and another now widowed daughter who returns, as Todd in census forms.

BUT WHERE IS DAUGHTER FANNY???
                        Recorded as Bennett originally but recorded later as burnett?

I can find no marriage, divorce or death certificate for her. Why??

I am now more and more convinced the birth cert i have for BB is from fanny bennett/burnett. BB looks like being the grandson of sir William burnett. ..... just need help to prove it.

Comment

Did Sir William Burnett die 16 February 1861? If so you can purchase his will from the Government Find a Will service. I think it is £10.
                          This link should take you there.

Comment

I thought it had been established that Fanny had died during birth of Bartlett.
                            Capture.JPG

I know you haven't found a death certificate yet.
                            It could be that it was a mistake by the informant that her age was given as 37. I would certainly buy this one to confirm cause of death and who the informant was.
                            BENNETT, FANNY 37
                            GRO Reference: 1845 M Quarter in ST MARTIN IN THE FIELDS MIDDLESEX Volume 01 Page 116
                            Kat

Comment

Originally posted by karen michelle View Post

What we do not understand is why Bartlett Bennett was then taken to Dinto, Teffont Magna and baptised April 1845, found to be with Sarah and James Larkham in 1851 and then funded through a fee paying public school Queen Wood College, Hampshire - census 1861. He also started adult life with a farm of 413 acres in Alverstoke, Hants. Who funded all of this?? Was it Sir William the child being his grandson? But incorrectly named?? Strange how Bartlett Bennett/Burnett was in Alverstoke, some of Sir Williams children were born there and he retired close by in Chichester.
                              One explanation could be that if William's daughter Fanny had an illegitimate child -Bartlett, then it was quite likely that he was sent to the country to be brought up with other relatives. My 3x great grandmother was born Hammersmith but sent to Essex village where her aunt lived and put with and brought up by a family (not relatives). I would suggest that William still looked out for his grandson and ensured a good education for him . William died 1861 and as Anne suggests the Will could be important. It is likely that he made provision for him.

Edit:
                              The death cert can be bought for £7 from here but you need to register first
                              Last edited by Caroline; 22-02-19, 16:46. Reason: Changed URL
                              Kat

Comment

I note that Sarah was from Dorset, maybe worth trying to trace her a bit, maybe she is a relative like someone mentioned
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-02-19, 14:36.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

But William doesn't become Sir William until later in life so could that not work???

Comment

What happened to this Fanny after 1841?

Comment

and the big mystery would be why Fanny became Bennett and her son also, and not Burnett.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

So Sylvia
                                        Are you saying then that my Fanny Bennett really can't be the Fanny BURNETT of the Sir Wm BURNETT/Bennett??

Comment

Working...
                                        X