John Cortland Dyer and Millie Meisel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Cortland Dyer and Millie Meisel

Once again, apologies for length of post.

John Cortland Dyer b 13 Jan 1894 New York, son of John Dyer and Kate Maude Davey, married Millie Meisel born c1897/1898 in Bohemia on 19 March 1928 in Brooklyn. He died 1 Jan 1966.

Both had been married previously: John married Henrietta Reynolds.
    They had at least one child together, a son David Dyer 1914-1915.
    Did they divorce or did Henrietta die? I can't find her after 1915.

In 1920 John C is with his widowed mother Kate and two of his brothers - all three are recorded as married but no sign of their wives! Line 36 onwards here:

Millie Meisel married Joseph Palus (variant spellings) in 1917. He died 1926.

John and Millie and family are here in 1940 https://familysearch.org/das/v2/3:1:..._undefined.jpg

A descendant of the daughter who has been in touch with me says all are now dead except the only daughter. Apparently John C and Millie never really talked about their early lives or family. She also told me that there was a daughter from John Cortland Dyer's first marriage who died as a baby but I haven't found any evidence of this.

The eldest son recorded in 1940 as Joseph Dyer is actually Joseph Palus, Millie's son by her first marriage.

Can anyone find the family in 1930 or any further information about the children's BMDs?
    I'm also looking for when Millie arrived in the US, (about 1914 according to the 1920 US census)
    Millie and Joseph Polish (sic) plus son Joseph in 1920: https://familysearch.org/das/v2/3:1:..._undefined.jpg

I'd also like to know Millie's parents' names if possible and also to confirm when she died - I'm told this was when her daughter was about 17 which would make it around 1955.

Plenty to get to grips with!
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 19-02-19, 11:25.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Did they reside in Brooklyn, Christine?
    If so it might be worth your while contacting the Brooklyn library https://www.bklynlibrary.org/
    I found them extremely helpful; a distant rellie had written a book and the library e-mailed me a picture of her. They also gave me details of how to access and use a newspaper library "old fulton", which gave lots of background on the family members. They'd done well for themselves and attended lots of society dos, which were all reported in the papers.
    I filled in a form with a specific inquiry and then got a number (like waiting at the supermarket deli counter!) Eventually a researcher got back to me and we took it from there.
    (Turned out she was British and had done a stint at the library in Hull before emigrating to the States; she recognised the name of the place where I live and commented "I once had a lovely Sunday lunch in the pub in your village." Small world.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay - yes they did.
      Thanks for mentioning the Fulton newspaper archive - looks like a really useful resource.
      I googled it and have done a couple of searches and voila - found the answer to one of my questions - found a newspaper obit for a Doris B Dyer who died on 1 Feb 1915. So scrub a son David B Dyer who I have as dying on the same date from a transcription record. I can see how such a transcription error could have been made...near the top of column 6

I'm still going through search results for Henrietta Dyer to see if I can find what became of her.
      Also found an obit for John Cortland Dyer's grandma Ann Dyer in 1912.
      Good hunting so far...
      Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Pleased it is proving useful, Christine.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Was looking at the ancestry hint for Henrietta M thornhill and if I have the right 1910, is that her brother Walter?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

George Thornhill 25
          Henrietta Thornhill 25
          George Thornhill 0
          Walter Reynolds 20
          Louise Reynolds 24

New York, New York, Extracted Death Index, 1862-1948
          Name: Henrietta M Thornhill
          Birth Year: abt 1895
          Death Date: 11 May 1924
          Death Place: Kings, New York, USA

IGI

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

New York, New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949
          Name: Henrietta Marion Thornhill
          Event Type: Death
          Event Date: 11 May 1924
          Event Place: Brooklyn, Kings, New York, United States
          Marital Status: Married
          Race: White
          Birth Year (Estimated): 1895
          Birthplace: U.S.
          Burial Date: 14 May 1924
          Cemetery: Evergreen
          Father's Name: Walter H. Reynolds
          Father's Birthplace: England
          Mother's Name: Elizabeth Williams
          Mother's Birthplace: New Foundland
          Certificate Number: 9998
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            Was looking at the ancestry hint for Henrietta M thornhill and if I have the right 1910, is that her brother Walter?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

George Thornhill 25
            Henrietta Thornhill 25
            George Thornhill 0
            Walter Reynolds 20
            Louise Reynolds 24

New York, New York, Extracted Death Index, 1862-1948
            Name: Henrietta M Thornhill
            Birth Year: abt 1895
            Death Date: 11 May 1924
            Death Place: Kings, New York, USA

IGI

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

New York, New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949
            Name: Henrietta Marion Thornhill
            Event Type: Death
            Event Date: 11 May 1924
            Event Place: Brooklyn, Kings, New York, United States
            Marital Status: Married
            Race: White
            Birth Year (Estimated): 1895
            Birthplace: U.S.
            Burial Date: 14 May 1924
            Cemetery: Evergreen
            Father's Name: Walter H. Reynolds
            Father's Birthplace: England
            Mother's Name: Elizabeth Williams
            Mother's Birthplace: New Foundland
            Certificate Number: 9998
            Hi Elaine,
            Thanks for looking.
            Linda (Ozgirl) had come up with this same scenario behind the FTF scenes.
            It looks promising, even highly likely BUT the only marriage record I have found for John Cortland Dyer and Henrietta Reynolds is an index only record on Ancestry which doesn't give parents' names unfortunately (They married 12 Apr 1914). In theory, there should be a transcription of this marriage record on FMP, US marriages, but if there is, I can't find it. As the FMP transcriptions generally include parents' names, that could have provided the clincher re Henrietta Reynolds/Dyer/Thornhill all being the same person. GRRR.
            The only evidence I have for them being together:
            - 1915 NY census - unfortunately this doesn't give parents' birthplaces so can't definitively link this Henrietta to the one who has parents Walter and Elizabeth born in England and Newfoundland respectively. However, the Henrietta that you found married to George Thornhill in 1920 is definitely the one with those parents.
            - plus the newspaper obit for their daughter Doris who died 1 Feb 1915, a few moths before the census was taken in June 1915.

Can't find a marriage for George Thornhill and Henrietta either. I suspect they didn't marry - John Cortland Dyer is with his mother and siblings in 1920 with status recorded as married, whilst at the same time Henrietta and George Thornhill are supposedly married to each other with a child on the same 1920 census. Having said that, from other records, it looks like John C had definitely deserted her by 1916...

Christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 26-02-19, 23:04.
            Researching:

Comment

Hi Christine

Have looked and looked but not coming up with 1930 at all
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                Hi Christine

Have looked and looked but not coming up with 1930 at all
                Yes, they're determined not to be found!
                Researching:

Comment

Working...
                X