Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robert Kirk - I haven't got another 30 yrs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Kirk - I haven't got another 30 yrs!

After 30 yrs, I have finally had a breakthrough with Robert Kirk, bp Paston Norfolk 29 Oct 1828, the seventh of the fourteen children of John & Elizabeth Kirk. In 1841 Robert was in the family home at Paston and the family them moved to nearby Mundesley - whilst I've got full details on all the other thirteen children, I never found any later reference for Robert.

Last night I found a seaman's ticket for him issued at Hartlepool in 1847. Date and place of birth are both out - ticket states b1831 at Mundesley. However, I'm certain it's my man - i) he gave Mundesley as residence when not at sea (this was the only Kirk family at Mundesley) ii) elder brother William had also gone to sea in 1830.
    (He's not to be confused with Robert Kirk born c1829 in the next village of Gimingham, who also went to sea for a time, working as a fisherman. This Robert married and lived at Gimingham where he raised a family.)

I'm really thrilled to have discovered that my Robert went to sea, but as I haven't got another 30 years left in me(!) can anyone find any clues about his life? His brother William continued to go to sea (with a home and family in Mundesley) and became a master mariner, finally retiring to Lowestoft. I suppose Robert could have married and set up home anywhere not necessarily in Norfolk. Neither he nor any possible offspring have ever turned up staying with any of Robert's siblings. After the death of the father in early 1861 the family farm was sold up and the children all went their separate ways.

All suggestions welcome! Thanks for reading.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-02-19, 10:19.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I don't know much about deaths at sea records Jay but could that have happened to him do you think?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
      I don't know much about deaths at sea records Jay but could that have happened to him do you think?
      Thanks Chrissie. I'm not very good with marine deaths either, but haven't come across any likely candidates with a matching approx year of birth.:(
      His brother William was missing from census returns 1841 & 1851, 1861 he was in port on the Humber, missing again in 1871 :( and then residing in Suffolk 1881, 1891 & 1901.
      I've really nothing to go on for Robert, apart from the bp record Paston Norfolk 1828 and then the seaman's ticket giving place of birth as Mundesley in 1831. Haven't come across a marriage in Norfolk PR or any news of him in Norfolk newspapers. If he was on regular ship runs, he could have settled ANYWHERE.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Is this a different one too Jay? Only the birth date is the same but mother is Mary - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Comment

Same one Chrissie - mother was named Elizabeth, but sometimes recorded in PR as Mary. (I have a note of this on my tree and perhaps I should have said so, sorry. She married as Elizabeth and also died as Elizabeth.)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

It's all the baptisms at Paston which record mother's name as Mary.
            In the earlier parishes she's Elizabeth. Mary in Paston bp in 1839 when Anna was bp, Elizabeth in 1841 Paston Census, and then Mary again when Alfred was bp at Paston! 1851 she's Elizabeth.

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-02-19, 15:21.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

TNA_MSEA_BTOTH_4620613_00298.jpg

expect you have this

Comment

Thanks Val. That's one of the two ship's ticket images I found last night. Those, the baptism image which Chrissie posted earlier and the 1841 Paston census return are all I have for Robert. :( But at least the documentation about him going to sea has doubled what I know about him. Trouble is, time is NOT on my side and so I'm hoping that someone can help to unearth a bit more about him. ;D

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Val.
                  I don't think he's my man - I came across newspaper articles about that case and I think he was the young man from the village of Gressenhall.
                  I'd be grateful if anyone cared to take a look at maritime deaths as I don't trust my judgement.

I suppose another possibility is that he went overseas?? One his younger brothers went awol and was missing for 3 census returns, only to turn up in London in 1901 with children who'd been born in Odessa and also Cologne. Nearly fell off my chair with shock - I'd spent months investigating various deaths to no avail.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There are a few on Ancestry, about the right birth year, but I dont have worldwide at the moment.

Comment

Thanks for trying Val, I really appreciate your efforts.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I haven't got worldwide either I'm afraid.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've had a quick look in the worldwide records on Ancestry, but nothing stands out. Unfortunately there isn't enough information on any of the records to confirm anything. Will try again later.
                            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks Linda.
                              No big deal - it's just that I'm revisiting my Kirk line and hoping up to tie up all the loose ends before passing on this part of a communal tree to relatives in Canada.

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                              X