Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caroline Winch

Hello,

Can anyone find a christening for Caroline? She was the daughter of James and Sarah Winch. Born between 1829 and 1831, allegedly in Bow, London; or just London. She would’ve grown up in Ickenham, near Uxbridge.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

no luck as yet sorry

Comment

No problem! I’ve never been able to find one either.

Comment

She might not have been baptised, or the church records have not yet been digitised

She might have been baptised in a non-conformist church and many records are not online

She might have been baptised much later in life, eg before starting work or getting married.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Her baptism could have been recorded under a different name. At baptism, only the child's forenames (Christian names) are used - my great-aunt (always known as May) was baptised as Sarah Ann, but always called May, which was her birth month.
          Where did she come in the family? Could she have been born before the marriage of James & Sarah? Had one of them had a previous marriage? Or, as Sylvia suggested, she may not have been baptised in infancy. If baptised after marriage, she would have been recorded with a surname other than Winch, although James and Sarah MAY have been recorded in the parents column, but not necessarily.

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 13-02-19, 08:13.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

ooh I did find a Caroline Winch with a Mother Sarah ,but no father mentioned, wonder if I can find it again

Comment

Her parents married in 1826, so she would have been legitimate - providing she told the truth about her age. I don’t know if she was christened in later life, but she married Richard James Kearley at Hillingdon parish church in 1855. To my knowledge, neither parent had been married before, although Sarah (recorded as Sarah Salter in her 1826 marriage in Hannover Square - for some reason a few Winch members married there) was born around 1795, while James was born in 1800.

Comment

Working...
              X