Help me solve the Valentine Mystery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me solve the Valentine Mystery!

I've run into a dead end trying to find the Valentine side of my family. My great Grandmother was Leona (Valentine) Loomis, born in 1900 and died in 1975 (Stevens Point, Wi).

Her father was Charles Valentine, possibly born around 1876 in Michigan or Ohio. I have found the following information about him, but nothing beyond that. I have not been able to find anything about his father or past generations.

There was another Charles Valentine in Janesville area of Wisconsin around the same time, who ended up becoming the mayor, but that was not him and I was unable to find any type of link between the two.

My great grandmother, who passed before I was born, told my father something about the family getting involved with Irish/French horse thieves and the family, as she put it, "going to sh*t". She wouldn't say anything else about them.

If you have any information, please let me know. I've been looking for quite a while and can't find anything at all.

1900 Oneida Co., WI, Pepin township, Rhinelander city,?ED 194, sheet 14b, 15 June:?Fam#277?Charles R. Valant, 23, b. Aug. 1876, married 3 years,?b. Michigan, father Michigan, mother Scotland,?sawmill hand?Christina, wife, 18, Jan. 1882, 1 child/1 living,?b. Sweden, emigrated 1892?LEONA C., dtr., 3 mos., Feb. 1900, WI

*******??WI death index -- Christina Valentine died 2 Sept. 1906?in Lincoln Co., WI, Vol. 1, pg. 0415??1910 Lincoln Co., WI, Merrill, pg. 255, 20 April:?Charles Valentin, 32, married twice 2 years, b.Michigan,?father b. OH, mother b. Scotland, foreman/box factory?Alvina, wife, 21, married once 2 years, 1 child/1 living,?b. WI, parents b. WI?

Hello and welcome to the forum katieloo.

Just wanted to make sure this is the family

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Charles Valentine Head 32 Michigan
    Vina Valentine Wife 21 Wisconsin
    Leona Valentine Daughter 10 Wisconsin
    Clarmont Valentine Son 5 Wisconsin
    Lyell Valentine Son 0 Wisconsin

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

He married Alvina Van Slate/State looking at a daughter's marriage online.
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

*******??WI death index -- Christina Valentine died 2 Sept. 1906?in Lincoln Co., WI, Vol. 1, pg. 0415??1910 Lincoln Co., WI, Merrill, pg.

There's a marriage of a Charles Valentine to a Christina Hendickson 1897, sorry I don't know area so maybe way off

Wisconsin, County Marriages, 1836-1911
      Name: Charles Valentine
      Event Type: Marriage
      Event Date: 19 Feb 1897
      Event Place: , Hazelhurst, Wisconsin, United States
      Race: White
      Birthplace: Michigan
      Father's Name: Charles Valentine
      Mother's Name: Christina M Valentine
      Spouse's Name: Christina Hendickson
      Spouse's Gender: Female
      Spouse's Race: White
      Spouse's Birthplace: Sweden
      Spouse's Father's Name: Knute J Hendickson
      Spouse's Mother's Name: Anna Hendickson

but it connects I think to the record you have 1906

from Wisconsin, Death Records
      Name: Christina Hendricksen Valentine
      Event Type: Death
      Event Date: 1906
      Event Place: Merrill, Lincoln, Wisconsin
      Marital Status: Married
      Birth Year (Estimated): 1882
      Father's Name: K. J. Hendricksen
      Mother's Name: Anna
      Spouse's Name: Charles L. Valentine
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Yes, this is all the same family. Charles married Christina, who was my great-great grandmother, and when she died married Alvina. I've found some suggestions that Charles's parents were Charles & Christina M as you have found, but that's where the trail has gone cold for me.

Thanks!
        Katie

Comment

I found a birth of Edward Valentine last night, just found this 1905 Wisconsin

205 30 304 Lucious Charles Head W M 28 M Mich. Mich. Laborer 9 R H
          205 31 304 Lucious Christina Wife W F 23 M Mich. Sweden
          205 32 304 Lucious Leona Daughter W F 5 S Wis. Sweden
          205 33 304 Lucious Edward Son W M 11/12 S Wis. Sweden

Edward

Last edited by Elaine; 11-02-19, 20:11.
          Elaine

Comment

That's great thanks! We didn't have a record of Leona having a brother. The really hard part seems to be finding any information on Charles' parents (aside from their names) and beyond.

Comment

Working...
            X