Ancestry: scottish probate index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry: scottish probate index

A hint has come up for an english lady who lived in wales, in the scottish probate index on ancestry. She died in 1935, and the probate was granted at manchester.

It has caught my eye, because her maternal grandfather was my direct ancestor, and family legend states he was scottish, yet no evidence has come to light one way or the other.

Because she appears in the index, would she have had land in scotland? Or bank bonds or other money related things?

To appear in the Scottish indexes, there must have been property or money in Scotland. I think, though, that there would be a separate probate involved as the two countries (England and Scotland) have different inheritance laws.

OC

Comment

People with assets in Ireland and England also feature in 2 or more probate indexes. The probate file is passed from one jurisdiction to the other for the relevant authority to be granted. The files are typically endorsed: “Re-sealed at Belfast, Dublin etc on X date,” and that re-seal information often appears in the abstracts, giving a clue as to the type of case it was. The main file would normally be held where probate was first granted and then there would be a second file in the other location.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thanks, thought so. So is it worth obtaining both files? Or just one?

Comment

I would suggest getting the English 1935 will first. It might all be explained there and save getting the Scottish one. You can get that later if necessary.
          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            Thanks, thought so. So is it worth obtaining both files? Or just one?
            I suppose it depends on what information you are looking for. I would expect the same will would be found on both files, so if are just interested in who the beneficiaries are, then it probably doesn’t matter. But if you were interested in finding out what the assets were in the other jurisdiction then you might need the second file too. In my experience of Irish files, some can contain very detailed valuations of assets, especially if it was a large estate and a solicitor or accountant was involved but in smaller estates there might not be much more than the executors oath(s), a probate registry receipt for the fee, and a single sheet of paper with brief financial information on it. Sometimes the Irish asset might just be a single insurance policy or a bank account (taken out in Ireland obviously) so that leads to a fairly slim file. In other cases if they owned property in Ireland then you can get a useful list of what and where that was.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Working...
            X