GRO Index - error report rejections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO Index - error report rejections

I've sharing this post around likely Facebook genealogy pages, and thought I should post it here, too, in case there's anyone who needs it and isn't "in the loop"...

If you're using the GRO index to search in 1901q3 and you think your person was born in the Liskeard district (05C 42), please be aware that you should specify "LISTREARD", when searching.
    I reported a whole swathe of them, in January. Looking today, to see their current status, I find that they report that "Investigated – No amendment required" and "Indexed data is correct."
    Make of that what you will!
    I've sent them a miffed Contact message, and also mentioned it on the Lost Cousins FB page, too.

I accept that personal names will get garbled in the registration process (though some of those rejections have seemed wilful to me), but really - this is a placename. Either LISTREARD exists or it doesn't - it doesn't.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

For avoidance of doubt - I mean the searchable index on the GRO website - not anyone else's transcriptions of it.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. It beggars belief really, that they think it is ok! Perhaps they should say where they think Listreard is in comparison to Liskeard.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Thanks Christine. It beggars belief really, that they think it is ok! Perhaps they should say where they think Listreard is in comparison to Liskeard.

OC
        I'm afraid I was a bit brusque in my web-contact of complaint...
        Just where in England and Wales is this District, "Listreard" ??
        How can "Indexed data is correct." possibly be true?
        I'm prepared to accept that personal names may get garbled in the registration process - though some of the rejections I've received do seem implausible - but this is a place-name. Either the place exists or it doesn't. It doesn't. If I web-search for it I don't get any hits. Anywhere.
        I had thought that part of the expected/intended benefit of this process was that they could sort out any blatant errors...
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-02-19, 15:09.

Comment

Working...
        X