And Co abbreviation-Irish tenant farmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Co abbreviation-Irish tenant farmers

The words and Co appear against quite a number of tenants on Lord Dillon's leaseholders from the late 18th century onwards. Does anyone have any idea what this indicates and its significance. It definitely does not denote a commercial company as these were poor tenants of limited means so I am thinking it had its own meaning back then in realation to the lease.

could it possibly mean "and other members of the family" or "and friends"

Thus saving having to write out all the names ........ a lazy estate manager maybe!

we often used to refer to our daughter as "xxxxx and Co" ................... and no, we are NOT Irish!
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

It meant the tenant farmed the area in partnership with some others. You haven’t said what county the records come from in some parts of Ireland it was common to use the rundale system which shared land between a group of tenants.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thank you Elwyn. We are looking at County Roscommon. I had not heard the term rundale before and have just looked it up. It mentions western counties so that would fit. I am assuming the name mentioned before .. and co would be the main leaseholder?

Comment

According to a retired solicitor friend, in some areas of Yorkshire it was and still is common for farm tenancies to run concurrently in a family for up to three, or even five, generations as long as the rent money can be found. I think new names were added to the lease as subsequent generations attained their majority. Perhaps there was a similar system in parts of Ireland.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Janet ...............

OH's family comes from Yorkshire and Westmorland. I know of farms where family members have been the tenant farmers from at least the early 1800s until the current day.

The tenancy has just passed down from father to whichever son wished to carry it on .......... usually, but not always, the eldest.

Even the selling of the farm to another owner has not changed the situation in some cases.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
            X