I don't know where I found it :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know where I found it :(

My ancestors John and Elizabeth Kirk ended their days at Mundesley in Norfolk. I have John's death certificate so I know that he died at his home 8 March 1861.
    On my tree I have put that Elizabeth died 20 December 1858 and for my evidence I have written "newspaper report." However, I don't appear to have the said newspaper report, nor can I find a reference to this event on either the BNA or the newspaper section on FMP, both of which I currently subscribe to.
    I do have a newspaper article with an announcement of John's death so perhaps I entered the annotation "newspaper report" against the wrong ancestor. But in that case, where did a precise death date for Elizabeth come from??
    I haven't got the death cert for Elizabeth, but thanks to the "new" GRO index, I think it will be the one in Q4 1858, Erpingham Reg District, Elizabeth Kirk 57 yrs. Elizabeth was born 5 July 1798 so the age was slightly out, but so is John's.
    I haven't found burial records for either of them, but if they were buried at Mundesley, I don't think the burial records are online.

So can anyone find a newspaper reference to the death of Elizabeth Kirk? Or any other record with her date of death? Or details of the burials of John & Elizabeth?
    I haven't done any work on this family for several years and am now reviewing things and looking for gaps. Buying Elizabeth's death cert could be a good way to start as I don't seem to have it. How did I get that date of death????

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Don't forget, she'd be known as Mrs John KIRK.

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
    Glen

Comment

There is a newspaper report from Jan 1 1859, about the death of the wife of John Kirk at Mundesley aged 57 on 20 Dec 1858. It doesn't mention the name Elizabeth, but does mention a daughter named Mrs Gooch who had died 2 weeks before. This could be her.

Norfolk News, Saturday 1 Jan 1859, page 5 (of 8), death announcements

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive....90101/059/0005
      Last edited by ozgirl; 06-02-19, 08:50.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you Glen and Linda - superstars the both of you. ;D
        I'd forgotten than in newspapers she would have been Mrs John Kirk, rather than Elizabeth

Mrs Gooch was indeed the daughter of MY John & Elizabeth - she was Phyllis, twin sister of my ancestress.
        I'll make sure I download the relevant articles and file them away in the appropriate folder on the PC.
        I'm so grateful to you both - I was beginning to doubt my own sanity and record keeping.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I've done a similar thing several times, Janet! Its SO frustrating isn't it! I'm really strict with myself but sometimes get carried away in the excitement of the hunt and forget to make a proper note!
          Anne

Comment

Working...
          X