X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Haddon Henderson

trying to find the birth of James Haddon Henderson
    on the 1861 census its states b 1824 Aberdeenshire cant find any proof
    he was married 23 may 1850 to Catherine Roocroft in Lancaster and says his father is George Henderson
    he died 1865 Preston
    he was a watch maker, clock master, brass moulder
    how can i find his birth and parents

Hi Caz,

Where have you tried looking? I'd try 'Scotlands People' which is a Pay per view site, or maybe www.familysearch.org might have some records.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

james haddon henderson

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Hi Caz,

Where have you tried looking? I'd try 'Scotlands People' which is a Pay per view site, or maybe www.familysearch.org might have some records.
      done that cant find him

Comment

FWIW .......

Here is the marriage entry from lancsopc

Marriage: 23 May 1850 St Mary, Lancaster, Lancashire, England
        James Henderson - (X), Full age, Iron Molder, Bachelor, Penny Street
        Catherine Roocroft - full age, Spinster, Penny Street
        Groom's Father: George Henderson, Engineer
        Bride's Father: Richard Roocroft, Labourer
        Witness: Edward Roocroft?; John Beckett, (X)
        Married by Licence by: Jos. Turner, Vicar
        Register: Marriages 1849 - 1852, Page 75, Entry 150
        Source: LDS Film 1526201
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

A Public Family Tree on Ancestry says he was born 15 Oct 1821, son of george Henderson and Mary Tower

Their evidence appears to be a baptism for James Henderson (no Haddon included) on 15 Oct 1821, at Old Machar, Aberdeen, as digitised on Scotland, Select Births, 1564-1950.

I don't think that is sufficient evidence, as other trees have James Henderson with same parents either dying early or marrying other people
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Helpful ............ not!!

In 1851, James says he was born ca 1822, in Scotland! He also says that he is Beer Seller and Iron Moulder. Catherine says she was born in Westmorland

but that does put him closer in age to the one claimed to be the son of George Henderson and Mary Tower ............. maybe making that a line to be followed up??

Interesting that he does not use either a second initial or second name on those censuses, not is it shown on that baptism.

Do you know when he adopted "Haddon"???

I say "adopted" because I tried to discover for years why my OH's Welsh grandfather had a middle name ........ it was not given at his baptism, it is not on his apprenticeship papers which we have, but it suddenly appears around 1900 around the time when he went to college to train to be a Methodist Minister.

I finally decide that he adopted it so as to be distinguished from the many other men with his otherwise common name.

James Henderson is a relatively common name.

BTW ............. I see someone has been asking similar questions on Who do you think you are site, and has already received much of the above information. Is that also you?
            Last edited by Sylvia C; 01-02-19, 19:06.

Comment

he,s not George and Mary Towers son

Comment

It unusual for James not to name a son after his father George.
                Looking at the naming pattern, Fanny (probably) Frances possibly named after Catherine's mother.

There were another four births for children mmn Roorcroft
                Wallace Wm b 1858 d 1859
                Wallace Wm b 1861 d 1861
                Wallace b 1862 who survived and named f as James Haddon on mc in 1890
                Elizabeth Jane b 1863

It possible his mother's maiden name is Haddon.

Cant see a birth for James but SP have a marriage in 1824 Peebles for a William Henderson to Elizabeth Haddon.

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 01-02-19, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz589 View Post
                  he,s not George and Mary Towers son
                  do you have proof?

I would agree with Vera though that there is a good chance that the Haddon was his mothers maiden name. [I have this a lot in my tree/s]
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I agree that "Haddon" could be his mother's name, in normal circumstances .......... except that such a name is usually given at baptism, and is found on marriage certificates and other documents.

The fact that I could not find a baptism for a James Haddon and he is not shown on any census that I found as James H, nor apparently have the several people who have him in trees on Ancestry found any such (not absolute proof I agree!), is what led me to recount my experience with OH's grandfather who did adopt a name much later in life, and it is shown on all documents and censuses after 1900 with it either in full or as a middle initial.

Of course the other reason to have a "surname" as a middle name is in the case of an illegitimate child when the middle name MIGHT give a clue to the putative father.

Comment

Like Sylvia, I have an ancestor who suddenly started using a middle name in adulthood. I assumed it was an affectation until I discovered that he was an adult baptism and the middle name was that of his sponsor (who was a much nicer man than his father!).

OC

Comment

Ooh

I hadn't thought of that, OC

OH's grandfather apprenticed for 7 years as a Cabinet Maker, and I looked at his master and journeymen for a clue to the adopted middle name but hadn't found anything.

I had assumed that he was baptised in the Welsh Methodist chapel as a baby, and then ordained as a Welsh Methodist Minister in his late 20s after attending college in Manchester, so I hadn't even thought of an adult baptism.

Comment

Sylvia

........mine joined the Congregational church in Manchester! This adult baptism also solved another mystery,which was - who paid for his apprenticeship? Why, it was his sponsor of course! He was a master grocer and a very distant relative by marriage.

OC

Comment

Working...
                          X