Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dare I ask? Another hibernating Hubbard ... :(

As well as Caroline Hubbard going awol,

her elder brother James Alfred also vanished after 1861.
    He was born at Mundesley, Norfolk 11 January 1847 and his family had moved to neighbouring Gimingham by 1861

That's my last sighting of him. There were other James Hubbards from Norfolk around at the same time and all the census records I've found so far are for them. James had three surviving sisters - Sarah who married and stayed on home turf, Caroline who went awol after 1871 and also Ann Elizabeth, who went into service and was in Dover in 1881 before marrying at Deptford in 1882 and settling in London. There was also a brother Robert, who was employed at West Somerton in Norfolk in 1871 before going to Rotherhithe and Deptford, where he worked at the London docks. There must have been contact between Ann Elizabeth & Robert because Rbt & his lady were the two witnesses at Ann E's marriage. I can track Sarah, Robert and Ann Elizabeth through each census until their deaths, but no sign of either Caroline after 1871 or of James after 1861.

Thanks for reading.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-01-19, 09:53.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I've found the following marriage reg - 1898 Smallburgh reg dist, Norfolk
    James Alfred Hubbard
    Thomas Nichols
    Julia Kerrison
    Mary Elizabeth Tuck

I've managed to match up Thomas Nichols & Julia Kerrison, both of Sea Palling, and living in Palling in 1901 census.

Not having any luck with the other couple though, and it might not be MY James Alfred Hubbard anyway :(

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-01-19, 13:15.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I'm still trying to find Caroline! I did look at the others and wondered about the death for a James in Wereham 1870.
      Will look at that possible marriage.

Vera

Comment

Thank you for trying, Vera. Although they were not direct ancestors, they were both siblings of a gt-grandmother and I just like to tie up all the loose ends if I possibly can. I realise that if a person didn't marry and moved away from the parental home, then it's quite possible that info recorded on census or given at death registration may not be accurate. :(

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Think the Wereham death is the young Soldier who was discharged because of TB

There is a child Hubbard/Tuck b 1899 Smallburgh reg - Ida Albena

She is in the 1901 with

James b 1873 Hempstead Ag Lab
          Mary 1875 Palling

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera. I'd looked for Mary Tuck in 1891 census, and decided i) that she was born at Sea Palling c1784 ii) so if it was my James Alfred, there was quite a big age gap between them.

I had looked at military records, but didn't spot a soldier being discharged because of TB. That has aroused my attention because my gt-gdmother (eldest sibling of James & Caroline) died from exhaustion, caused by TB. She died in 1889, but TB bugs can live in your system for many years until something triggers off the disease. Neither my grandfather nor any of his siblings or his ancestors developed the disease as far as I know and I had often wondered about the Hubbard line???
            Too many James Hubbards for my liking :(

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 29-01-19, 16:47.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

On FMP
              James Hubbard
              b 1846 Wareham
              SN 1872 Pte Coldstream Rgt of Guards
              Attested 1866, discharged 1869

Perhaps your grandfather and his sibs built up an immunity. Out in that bracing Norfolk climate. TB of fairly recent date was treated with exposure to the elements, with wards open to the outside. Doubt it was effective.

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 29-01-19, 17:20.

Comment

That James Hubbard from Wereham b 1847 I' d looked at earlier. I don't think he is "yours" as he is on the 1861 census.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks Vera and also Kat.
                  I think I'd discarded that James earlier in the day when I was going through all the different census years and trying to match and co-ordinate the various results.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                  X