Who was Edward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Edward?

A long-standing query - can anyone find any other (pre or post 1881) reference for visitor Edward Ransome, allegedly born Beckham Norfolk c1870?
    (Please don't waste any time researching the hosts as I have full details of that family in census returns 1841 to 1911.)
    I am just curious as to who the visitor was so that I can try to work out why he was staying with them.

I suspect it may be the case that some of the census info given in 1881 was incorrect, but I have not managed to unearth a possible Edward yet, nor to find any link between the host family and either of the villages of East & West Beckham :(

Thanks for reading
    Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Although he is shown as visitor perhaps someway he might be related

Louisa Maud

Comment

Originally posted by kinsenda View Post
      Although he is shown as visitor perhaps someway he might be related

Louisa Maud
      Thank you for your suggestion. I've not yet managed to find any "family" connection between Edward and his host family, despite having quite detailed extended family trees for both John and Sarah :(
      I'm sorry to be so dim, but is Louisa Maud your signature, or did you mean a Louisa Maud could have been a link between visitor Edward and his host family?

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 25-01-19, 16:01.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I'm having trouble finding anything,

Comment

forget this
          Last edited by Guest; 25-01-19, 17:29.

Comment

Thanks for looking Val.
            (I'm on a big write up in order to pass on all one side of my family history to a cousin in Canada, so I'm trying to tie in all the loose ends as I do each generation in turn.)

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Val, I had seen Edward Henry. Wasn't too bothered about the age being out a couple of years, but I think he was in Holkham with his widowed mother and siblings in 1881:(
              And I can't connect that family with either adult of the 1881 host family.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Could he just have been a casual acquaintance, someone passing through??

I found OH's Welsh grandfather shown as a visitor in Leeds in 1901, which puzzled me mightily until I realised that he was a newly graduated Welsh Methodist minister from a college in Manchester and that he could well have been actually visiting the chapel and had been given a bed by a member of the congregation. I gave up looking for a connection between the family and the visitor at that point!!

Grandfather was married in Manchester to a Welsh lady, and I have him on the Methodist circuit in North Wales from ca 1902 to his death in the early 1930s, which I took as proof of my conclusion!
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Janet,

I've had a little dig of my own and turned nothing up in Norfolk at all (IGI Norfolk PR images, FreeREG).

However, I see that 3 of the children were born Hartlepool, Co. Durham.
                  The IGI throws this up:

Edward Ranson christening: 22 July 1870 AUCKLAND SAINT ANDREW, DURHAM, ENGLAND
                  father: Joseph Ranson mother: Sarah

Might there be some connection to the north of England? It looks like the family were there for at least 4 years....
                  Kind regards,
                  William
                  Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion Sylvia - I have come across similar scenarios to the one you describe, but with adults. Edward was supposed to be 11 years old. I have also considered the nurse child scenario in case Edward should have been recorded as 11 months rather than years and was the illegitimate son of a single working girl, but that hasn't really helped. I can't find a relevant baptism nor 1891 census follow up record for that idea.:( I also wondered if there was an error in entering up the household returns, but that was the first household for the village and I can't see that Edward would have been a member of the second household.
                    At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter a flying fig; it's just me being pedantic. But you know how we all like to cross the Ts and dot the Is!

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

OooooH, William. That's a gem and you're a star
                      That's a scenario that had never crossed my mind - but is a very feasible possibility. I do think you could be onto something. I do so love this site and all the new ideas fresh eyes bring to the table.

Have a few chores awaiting, but will be delving into Co Durham research area later this evening.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Glad you like the thought, but the individual I'd picked out as a possibility isn't correct:

Ranson, Edward.png

I wonder if there's somewhere in Co. Durham with a name like Beckham?
                        Kind regards,
                        William

Comment

Bit of a wild one. There is a Walter Thomas Ransome born in Erpingham w/house 1870 mothers name recorded on Norfolk Archives and GRO as Barbery.(b1851)

With mother in 1871 with relatives. Child named William

Cant see Barbara or Walter/William in 1881.

Mother marries in 1885 Samuel Felstead.

Walter Thomas recorded 1891/1901/1939

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 25-01-19, 18:56.

Comment

Cannot find anything for an Edward born abt 1870, in that area.

Comment

what about this one ? Edward Lawrence? born 1870 Beckham ? could be a mistake

Comment

I know you said not to research the extended family, but I've had a look to try to understand the relationships and I'm getting more and more confused:

1861 Trunch: Susan (12), Ann (6), Thomas (4) & Isaac (1), children of James (41) & Susan Boulter (44)
                                1871 Trunch: Susan (22), Ann (16), Thomas (14) & Isaac (11), children of John (30) & Sarah Boulter (26), though with Pamela & James, both younger children, listed first
                                This looks like James & Susan died, and their children were adopted, perhaps by James' younger brother John?
                                Perhaps Pamela & James were the blood children of John & Sarah, which is why they were listed before their adopted cousins?

Do the following clippings explain where James went? Was he imprisoned or transported (it seems late for that??):

Boulter, James 1865.png

Anyway, by the time 1881 rolls around, the two young children Pamela & James are still with their father, but their mother is now listed as Pamela.
                                Is this Pamela the same individual as the 1871 Sarah?..it looks like it.

The reason I've tried to look into this is because the years 1872 - 1876 seem critical (possibly a couple of years either side of that) because of the time in Hartlepool.
                                The lack of an 11-year old Boulter child in 1881 seems relevant - partly because Edward Ransome is 11, and partly because it coincides with the probable move to Hartlepool.
                                These seem to be the birth registrations in Hartlepool:
                                Boulter, Birth registrations.png

Jay, please don't feel the need to reply to all my ramblings - they're largely to keep my thoughts on an otherwise unknown family in order. But perhaps there's something helpful in amongst them?
                                I'll stop there for the time being...should really go and contemplate my Macleods!
                                Kind regards,
                                William

Comment

Thank you for your addendum, William. I shall keep the Co Durham possibility on the back burner though, as it's an idea I would never have thought of.
                                  Thank you Vera - another one to add to the pile of things to chase up. The Erpingham workhouse was at Beckham, so year and place of birth and surname all "match" with the census data. It's going to be a question of teasing out WHY Edward was a "visitor" with the family, rather than boarder, nurse child, etc. I have quite a comprehensive and complex extended family tree for both John (head of house) and his wife Sarah, but not a Ransome or variants in sight.
                                  Val, thank you for you persistence. I suppose I must have had the Edward reference for about 20 years and have never managed to crack it, so I don't really know WHY I thought I would suddenly be able to solve it this evening! ;D

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                    Bit of a wild one. There is a Walter Thomas Ransome born in Erpingham w/house 1870 mothers name recorded on Norfolk Archives and GRO as Barbery.(b1851)Vera
                                    That's the only one I could find too -- note:-mother Barbary was from Briston, Norfolk
                                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

AAAAGH I've just lost my reply to William!
                                      John's wife was named Sarah but in 1881 the enumerator seems to have got in a muddle and recorded both her and their daughter as Pamela. Sarah died in 1889 so does not appear in later census. Her mother Elizabeth Hubbard then went to care for John's children and to keep house until her death in 1899.
                                      John's parents were indeed James and Susan and they had a large family. In 1871 the two couples lived next door to each other and John & Sarah's family were recorded first. James and Susan were away from home and were staying at the Crown Inn Trunch, where Susan was nursing the elderly owner. Some of their elder daughters were in their family home caring for the younger children and also two illegitimate children of one of these daughters. There is a double line between the two households, if you know to look for it. I think the court proceedings were probably for James Boulter, son of James and Susan and younger brother of John.
                                      With regards to gaps in the family of John & Sarah, they had a son Robert, 1879- 1881 bp & buried Trunch. Born at Hartlepool were Elizabeth in 1872, Caroline in 1873 and Robert in 1876, Further children were born in Trunch 1878 - 1887.

Hope that has helped sort them out for you. Oh, and James (father of John) was another James, who also lived at Trunch! I did say don't worry about the host family

Jay
                                      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 25-01-19, 21:28.
                                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                      X