X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland Family

Hi

Could anyone help me?
    I looking for advice, i'm looking for family/relatives for Arthur Michael Ireland. He was married to Florence Kate Varns. They married 21.8.1916.
    Florence i think went under the name Kate.

Also who/where would i need to apply for a birth cert, for. Maryann Magee, born Glasgow i think around 1918?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Wendy x
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 20-01-19, 08:19.

Hi Wendy, welcome!

Do you want to go backwards before their marriage, forwards or both?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have moved this to Family Research Wendy, where I think you will get the most help. Also, as you seems to be possibly looking for living people, please remember that you must not post the name of anyone who is, or who may be, still alive.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Both really if possible.

Comment

Ok thank you. Arthur Ireland is deceased - i think Terry Ireland maybe as well but not totally sure.

Comment

The Maryann Magee I'm pretty certain she has passed away.

Comment

On Ancestry, Surrey marriages

Parish of Christ Church, Woking, Surrey
              21/08/1916 St Johns, Woking

Arthur Ireland aged 24, Bachelor, Private, 28th Middlesex Regt., Residence ?? Barracks, Aldershot, Father Thomas (dec) Stoker

Florence Kate Varns, 23, single, residence, 29 Royal?? Road, Worthing. Father, George, Farm Foreman

Witnesses Lily ?? and Rosa Renshaw

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 20-01-19, 14:15.

Comment

Looks as though there was a son b. 1917, mmn Varns. Shown with Florence Kate on the 1939 living at The Cottage, Mercer's Passage , Guildford. The name immediately below Florence K is officially closed so can't tell if it is her husband or not. Possibly not, as the 1932 electoral roll has Florence Kate only living at that address.

How do you know Arthur's middle name was Michael? Do you have him on any record with that name?

I've been looking for Arthur Ireland, father's name Thomas and apart from the marriage already mentioned, the only record I've found so far was an 1898 school admission at Frankham st London, giving an Arthur Ireland's d.o.b as 5 Sep 1891, father named Thomas, previously enrolled at Regent st Infants.
                Using that d.o.b, I located an illegit. birth for an Arthur Ireland, mother Emily Ireland, in Buckingham Palace Road Workhouse.

All of which may be connected - or I have mixed up several Arthur Irelands. i found none with the middle name 'Michael'.

Beverley

Comment

Can see x 2 more children mmn Varns but possibly still alive

There is an Arthur in the 1939 with the dob given by Macbev for the workhouse birth. Living with a Nellie in Solihull.

Vera

Comment

No birth on Scotland's People for a Maryann Magee anywhere at all close to 1918.
                    The closest match I could find was this one, in case her name was Mary Ann(e) -
                    MAGEE - MARY A H HOLMES - 1918 - 564/2 62 - Greenock West

You can view birth certificates on line at Scotlands People for that period for 6 credits - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Another school admission for Deptford area.

Arthur Ireland b 05/09/1891
                      Admitted 19/11/1894 Lucas Street School
                      Mother, Mary, Widow
                      24 Motts Terrace

Wonder if Thomas was a Navy stoker

Vera

Comment

In 1901 at 47 Charles Street, Deptford St Paul there is a

John Warren 45 b 1856 Herts, Carman
                        Mary Ann 46, b 1855 Borstal Heath
                        Arthur Ireland aged 11 Adopted Son b Islington

and in 1891 Deptford, St Paul

Living 80 Charles St, there is
                        Warren, John, Mary Ann and Fdk J aged 12 son
                        In the same household
                        Ireland, Fdk 26, Mary, 25 and Fdk J 2 mnths

Not sure how this Arthur fits in if at all but the Arthur Ireland b 05/09/1891 who was admitted to School, father Thomas lived at 47 Charles Street

Vera

Comment

Found on 1947 passenger list bound for Canada, 'Aquitania' Molly B Ireland, 22 yrs + Gerald Ireland, 10 mnths, late of 'The Cottage', Bakers Passage, Guildford, Surrey. She also appeared on the 1946 electoral roll at the same address with Florence K Ireland and Arthur G.V. Ireland

Beverley

Comment

Hi
                            Thank you - yes Nellie was my nan! I only know his middle name as it's on his headstone! I'm interested to know when he was with Nellie & when he left Florence 'Kate' - as he never married my nan!
                            But Nellie & Arthur adopted my mom.

Comment

I'm not sure where the middle name of Michael comes from. Not seeing birth of Arthur Michael with the same dob (05/09/1891) as that of the Arthur with Nellie on the 1939. Not on the marriage cert or 1939 although it is on electoral roll for 1935.

The last child born to Ireland/Varns was 1924.

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 21-01-19, 08:22.

Comment

Re other family members. Looking at the Arthur Ireland, adopted by John and Mary Warren, it could be that he is the same Arthur b Westmister, mother Emily.

There is an Emily Clara Ireland b 1873 Lewisham. Mother Clara, brothers Henry and Frederick. She marries twice in Islington 1892 to Frank Snow (witness JohnWarren) and in 1907 to William Tralaw. At least one child born in 1899. Emily dies 1920.

Vera
                                Last edited by vera2013; 21-01-19, 08:56.

Comment

Originally posted by mills65 View Post
                                  Hi
                                  Thank you - yes Nellie was my nan! I only know his middle name as it's on his headstone! I'm interested to know when he was with Nellie & when he left Florence 'Kate' - as he never married my nan!
                                  But Nellie & Arthur adopted my mom.
                                  Would Arthur have been RC? I ask only because my own Irish grandfather had a previously unknown middle name ('David') on his gravestone....I think the Irish added an extra name either at baptism or, perhaps, confirmation.

Florence appears alone in 1923 on the electoral roll in Guildford. I am thinking the children which bear mmn Varns born after then were probably not Arthur's.....a divorce perhaps? Or if not a divorce, perhaps that was why he did not marry your Nan
                                  Last edited by Macbev; 21-01-19, 09:59.

Beverley

Comment

1939 Arthur Ireland b. 5 Sep 1891, motor lorry driver, AFS + Nellie Ireland, b. 6 Dec 1896, living Solihull Warks
                                    Last edited by Macbev; 21-01-19, 10:05.

Beverley

Comment

Arthur & Florence Kate Ireland listed on el. reg The Chase Guildford 1923. I think there may be another couple of the same name living in Guildford, so possibly disregard post #17.
                                      There are listings on the electoral register for both Florence Kate , Florence K and Florence Ireland, all living with Arthur Ireland in Guildford.

Just in case they are one and the same couple, there is a 1924 and 1925 listing for Florence & Arthur at 1 Bedford road, but Florence only at that address 1927

Beverley

Comment

21-12-1914
                                        War service possibly....agrees with marr cert and the 1939 register details,
                                        Arthur Ireland, driver, RFA(T?), Reg No.442/ 915116X
                                        Last edited by Macbev; 21-01-19, 11:05.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                                        X