Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quaker relative

Hi everyone

My nans aunt was born in Stockport in 1897 and lived and died in London as a Quaker.

I think I have found her death in Westminster London in 1981 aged 84.

Her name was Sarah Gerraghty/Gerrity. I am wondering how I may find out more about her life as a Quaker and maybe even some form of a record.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

I am not sure what you mean? Her life as a Quaker would be the same as anyone else's life. If you mean what were her beliefs, then there is lots of information on the internet.

Sorry if I have misunderstood!

OC

Comment

possibly the 'society of friends' might have some record of her, especially if she was well known in her group.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sorry I meant any record of her within the Quaker community. I assume she moved away from all her family to London to perhaps be more involved with the Quakers in some way that may be recorded.

Thank you Julie I will try them.

Dan

Comment

You could try contacting Friends House in London:

Friends House is the central offices of Quakers in Britain and is located at 173 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BJ. Accessibility details. It is directly opposite Euston Station and is easily accessible by most forms of transport. Find out how to get there here.

I went there quite a few years ago to research my Quaker ancestors.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth

I have emailed them and hopefully they will be able to help me out.

Dan

Comment

Good luck, Dan.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have benefitted from very detailed Quaker records, but these were from around 1760 to 1850. I'm wondering if trying to access records 1900 to 1980 could be much more of a problem. The ones I was able to consult included details of Norfolk births, marriages and burials and also admissions records for Ackworth school, near Pontefract.
                Was your relative born into a Quaker family or did she decide later to become a Friend? Good luck with your search.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I agree, Janet. It might be much more difficult.

My 3x-great-grandfather and most of his siblings attended Ackworth School (they travelled up from Buckinghamshire) and the records are wonderful. In addition, his sister Rebecca Jeffcoat produced one of the Ackworth samplers. A family member owns it and my daughter stitched a replica of it for me.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Hi Dan

I have a copy of her death cert if you would like it

Bev
                    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Hi Janet

She was not born into a Quaker family but instead joined (not sure how it came about).

Hi Bev

I would love a copy if that's ok. Thank you.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan

No problem. Can you PM me with your e-mail address.

Bev
                        Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Working...
                        X