I Need search ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need search ideas

I'm trying to locate when and where my grandfather died.
    He moved to Connecticut approx. 1963 and then vanished. I can find him in his home state in directories and census records. But after he moved I can't find anything.
    I believe he died before 1970 and that he never collected social security.
    I find it hard to believe that he passed away without ID, but since next of kin were never notified, is there any type of data out there on John Does?
    Thanks for any ideas on alternate search methods.

Originally posted by ASharpeCook View Post
    I'm trying to locate when and where my grandfather died.
    He moved to Connecticut approx. 1963 and then vanished. I can find him in his home state in directories and census records. But after he moved I can't find anything.
    I believe he died before 1970 and that he never collected social security.
    I find it hard to believe that he passed away without ID, but since next of kin were never notified, is there any type of data out there on John Does?
    Thanks for any ideas on alternate search methods.
    So, sounds like these are difficult circumstances. Please note that since he is deceased, you may post his info here. Also, a moderator can move this thread to the private research section - all members can read it, but it is not open to internet searches.

familysearch has the Connecticut death index covering the time period you mentioned:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

To search it, you will need to create an (free) account).

You don't indicate when he was born. Most people working in the '60s had a social security number, and it would have been recorded on his death cert (if it were known, of course). I wouldn't give up on an SSDI entry without first checking for it. People who were self-employed, military, and certain types of institutions may have been exempt from SS, and I don't know when SSNs became required to file a tax return.

Did he serve in the military? Which war?

Have you checked findagrave.com? Other commonly used databases are newspaper archives, but if he died unknown or without family members there would be nothing in the papers.

You've queried any surviving relatives and they know nothing? Best not to assume - sometimes people don't want to volunteer info - they might not know you're interested &/or they don't want to bring up family difficulties.

Please let us know how your search goes.

Comment

Thank you for your ideas!
      All family members who would know anything about him are deceased. He was born in 1915 and was a heavy drinker. No military but was most likely self employed and did odd jobs. I did know his SSN number at one time and searched it on the SSD database (a long time ago) but nothing came up.
      I will check out the link you posted. Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
      X