X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they marry?

Hi
    Looking for any evidence of the parents of;
    Lilly Anne Daley Kent born on the 31st January 1899, baptised in Newcastle on the 16th February, daughter of Thomas Kent and Catherine Daley.
    Catherine and her daughter can be found together on the 1901 census living in 133 Kendal Street, Newcastle.
    Catherine’s year of birth is given as 1880 and place of birth as Middlesbrough, Yorkshire; she also claims to be married, although there is no trace of Thomas.
    Catherine went on to have another daughter, Ellen, born on the 19th October 1907 (place of birth unknown).
    Lily married Thomas Butler in Sunderland in 1920 and then stood as a witness at her sister, Ellens’ marriage, to Joseph Henry Chambers, which took place in Sunderland Register Office on the 3rd February 1932.
    Ellen did not name a father when she married.
    Ellen had two children; ...... ....., born during the March quarter of 1934, (mmn given as Daly), and ....., (mmn given as ‘Kent’) born during the March quarter of 1935.
    Both sisters can be found living close to each other in Upper Sans Street, Sunderland in 1939.
    I cannot find Catherine, Lily or Ellen after 1901, nor can I find a marriage between Thomas Kent and Catherine Daly (Daley).
    Can anybody find Catherine before or after 1901?

Thank you
    Sue

I have had to delete the two names as they could still be alive. If you know they are deceased we can put them back in.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-12-18, 08:48.

Originally posted by raineroberts View Post
    Hi
    Looking for any evidence of the parents of;
    Lilly Anne Daley Kent born on the 31st January 1899, baptised in Newcastle on the 16th February, daughter of Thomas Kent and Catherine Daley.
    Catherine and her daughter can be found together on the 1901 census living in 133 Kendal Street, Newcastle.
    Catherine’s year of birth is given as 1880 and place of birth as Middlesbrough, Yorkshire; she also claims to be married, although there is no trace of Thomas.
    Catherine went on to have another daughter, Ellen, born on the 19th October 1907 (place of birth unknown).
    Lily married Thomas Butler in Sunderland in 1920 and then stood as a witness at her sister, Ellens’ marriage, to Joseph Henry Chambers, which took place in Sunderland Register Office on the 3rd February 1932.
    Ellen did not name a father when she married.
    Ellen had two children; ....... ....., born during the March quarter of 1934, (mmn given as Daly), and ......, (mmn given as ‘Kent’) born during the March quarter of 1935.
    Both sisters can be found living close to each other in Upper Sans Street, Sunderland in 1939.
    I cannot find Catherine, Lily or Ellen after 1901, nor can I find a marriage between Thomas Kent and Catherine Daly (Daley).
    Can anybody find Catherine before or after 1901?

Thank you
    Sue
    Have you seen the birth cert for Lilly? Does it say Thomas Kent is her father?

Here they are in 1911 although Catherine's first name is not given, but both Lilly and Ellen (Nellie) are there with her. Catherine is saying she is a widow but that could be to cover the fact that she is actually single.

Here's the birth entry for Lily

DALEY, LILY ANN MMN: -
    GRO Reference: 1899 M Quarter in NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE Volume 10B Page 187

Could this be Ellen

DALEY, MARY ELLEN MMN: -
    GRO Reference: 1909 M Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE Volume 10B Page 60

It doesn't look as though they married.

Margaret
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-12-18, 08:49.

Comment

For Catherine there are 3 candidates in the 1891 census

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource - living in Middlesborough

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource - living in North Ormsby and who is later found in 1901 still with her parents.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource - living in Pendleton, Manchester

Comment

Hi

I have seen the baptism record for Lily and Thomas Kent is named as the father, but Catherine is alone in 1901, with Lily, although she states that she is married, I doubt that she probably has been, but Thomas must have admitted paternity.
        Ellen was definitely born on the 19th October 1907, so I don't think her birth would have been registered in 1909.

I think Catherine was the first match (census) living in Middlesbrough, mother, Ann. She also appears with the same family in 1881 - frustratingly, Ann, is also widowed on both census!

Comment

The only way to prove that the 1909 one isn't Mary Ellen would be to buy the PDF simply to rule it out. I have looked under Kent and Daly/Daley and the only Mary Ellen Daley born with MMN Daley is the 1909 one [well it's actually noted as MMN - ] which means usually that she was illegitimate.

Have you actually found this Thomas Kent to say that he did live? More often than not the reason that they wouldn't get married is that Thomas was already married.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
          X