Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewish burial in 1867

Hello,

Can anyone find a date of death or burial for Priscilla Franks in 1867? She died in the Whitechapel district in the January quarter aged 88.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

Similarly, anything for her husband Benjamin who died between 1827 and 1841, most likely in Whitechapel too. Ancestry quotes some questionable wills for a Benjamin Franks in Westminster, whereby a brother named John swore on the Bible for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
      Similarly, anything for her husband Benjamin who died between 1827 and 1841, most likely in Whitechapel too. Ancestry quotes some questionable wills for a Benjamin Franks in Westminster, whereby a brother named John swore on the Bible for some reason.
      Probably wasn't offered anything else. I went with someone to apply for probate a couple of years ago and they only offered the bible.
      Margaret

Comment

Hello,

Can anyone find a date of death or burial for Priscilla Franks in 1867? She died in the Whitechapel district in the January quarter aged 88.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam
        You will generally only get the date of death from the certificate which you can now buy as a pdf download for £6.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks. I will order the certificate after Christmas. The will from 1831 also has discrepancies as it says that Benjamin was a servant when he was a glass cutter. His brother is also living in Leicestershire, which is also a bit unlikely as I don’t think there was an established Jewish community there then.

Comment

Thanks. I will order the certificate after Christmas. The will from 1831 also has discrepancies as it says that Benjamin was a servant when he was a glass cutter. His brother is also living in Leicestershire, which is also a bit unlikely as I don’t think there was an established Jewish community there then.
            He could have been working as a glass cutter for someone else and in those days they often called that being a servant rather than an employee.

Margaret

Comment

Yes, that’s certainly possible. I’ll have to have a detailed read of the probate.

Comment

have you looked at burials here

Comment

Working...
                X