I'm a bit annoyed and upset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a bit annoyed and upset

In the Somerset village where my husband's family have lived since the mid 1800's there are two distinct branches of the Lawrence family, I haven't found any connection between them though in such a small place there are probably distant marriages, but no common ancestor as far as I have found out. Someone who married into the other family decided to write a book about the Lawrence family and she has got the two sides mixed up, my husband had an uncle called Gilbert who for all of his live was the local coalman, he inherited the business from his father who had inherited it from his father, my husband’s great grandfather, when uncle Gilbert died in 2006 it was decided to name a road on the housing estate built on the coal yards after him so Lawrence Close was born.

This other Lawrence decided to attribute this road and the coal business to her husband’s great uncle Austin who we've never heard of, when I pointed out (I did try and do it politely and tactfully) her mistake she snootily said that her research had led her to Austin so she was right, I pointed out that uncle Gilberts sister lived just two doors away from her and would confirm what I had said, I also sent her a copy of the obituary and the family tree from our side of the family. She then said that her research might have been wrong but as her book only went to a few people on her side of the family it didn't really matter.

If she has made mistakes in this really recent history (her husband should have known the correct facts surely) I shudder to think what she's done with the rest of her research, she does mention 'A*******y' as the best web site so maybe that is where she got her information from but as I'm not a member I can't check.

Am I really wrong to be annoyed and upset that Uncle Gilbert has had his 'fame' stolen?
    Margaret

No, not a bit wrong. It really annoys me when people get basic stuff wrong and refuse to back down. The absolute conviction of the deeply stupid. If you manage to pin them to the ground and force them to face the truth, which is that their research is wrong, then they shrug and say words to the effect that you are taking it too seriously z- it's only a hobby, after all!

I make mistakes, massive ones sometimes, but I am grateful if someone points that out because I want my tree to be right, not wrong.

OC

Comment

What a blooming cheek! At the very least she should issue an addendum page for all the copies handed out so far and then rewrite the bit that is clearly wrong.
      Could you perhaps persuade the Parish Council to do a history project about all the names of your village streets and local places etc. and offer to start the ball rolling with the street named after your family member? Once you have got the project underway, you could get the local press on board and get articles with old photos of the village printed as an occasional series. That way, the correct details would be more widely known.
      Just a thought ... ??

Comment

When will these arrogant people realise that their feelings of hurt pride and their stubbornness are extremely disrespectful to deceased persons, who cannot answer for themselves? If we are going to take it upon ourselves to delve into their lives and report the findings, then we have a moral obligation to get it RIGHT and to check, and check again that we have done so.
        * climbs down from soapbox and slinks away from the barricades *
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for all the support, there is a flourishing history society but when I asked for the persons contact details explaining why I wanted them she didn't show any interest. I think that I might e-mail her again asking how she is getting on with sorting the two sides out, funny, but I didn't have any problems when I was doing my tree. ;)
          Margaret

Comment

Working...
          X