Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are some Alderney Registrations in Irish Records ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are some Alderney Registrations in Irish Records ?

Can anyone help with why some Alderney Registrations appear in Irish Records ?

I have found 2 Alderney Registrations that appear in Family Search. Both say that the Event was in Alderney, Ireland, and that the registration is in the "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958,".

One is for the birth of Patrick Joseph (Joe) Sinnott. We know from the 1939 Register that he was born in Alderney on 11 April 1889. Alderney is confirmed by a number of Census entries. The Family Search info is below. It says he was born in Alderney, Ireland, and that the registration is in the "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," and the date was Q4 1889, not 11 April 1889.

There is another entry for his mother’s marriage to Patrick Joseph (Paddy) Sinnott on 5 March 1889. We know from Patrick’s Military Record that there were married in Alderney on 5 Mar 1889. Again it quotes Event Place: Alderney, Ireland and that the registration is in the "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," and the date was Q4 1889 not 5 Mar 1889.

Were Alderney registrations also registered in Ireland – are these typos or transcription errors in FamilySearch ? Any ideas would be welcome.

Details from Family Search below

Name: Patrick Joseph Sinnott
    Event Type: Birth
    Event Date: Oct - Dec 1889
    Event Place: Alderney, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year: 1889
    Registration District: Alderney
    Mother's Maiden Name:
    Volume Number:
    Page Number: 1
    GS Film number: 101062
    Digital Folder Number: 004193976
    Image Number: 00654

Citing this Record:
    "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FB8B-6XS : 10 March 2018), BIRTHS entry for Patrick Joseph Sinnott; citing Alderney, 1889, vol. , p. 1, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin; FHL microfilm 101,062.

====

Name: Amelia Levallee
    Event Type: Marriage
    Event Date: Oct - Dec 1889
    Event Place: Alderney, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1889
    Registration District: Alderney
    Mother's Maiden Name:
    Volume Number:
    Page Number: 1
    GS Film number: 101256
    Digital Folder Number: 004179388
    Image Number: 00152

Citing this Record
    "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYH7-R2R : 9 March 2018), MARRIAGES entry for Amelia Levallee; citing Alderney, Oct - Dec 1889, vol. , p. 1, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin; FHL microfilm 101,256.

I searched for the 1899 birth of Patrick Sinnott in Ireland and could not find yours. Similarly I searched for the 1899 marriage in Ireland and could not find that either.
    It might be a possibility that if these events are shown as Alderney, Ireland an original listing as Alderney Island may have been 'corrected' by a Family Search individual who thought they knew better.

merleyone

Comment

Alderney marriages and births were not registered in Ireland. I would say that FamilySearch have got 2 different sets of records mixed up.
      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

I am not up to speed with the current film numbers on the LDS but those look like the old numbrrs which signified that someone unknown had offered transcribed records to the LDS - and that fits very nicely with merleyone's explanation above.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by DenisO View Post
          Can anyone help with why some Alderney Registrations appear in Irish Records ?

I have found 2 Alderney Registrations that appear in Family Search. Both say that the Event was in Alderney, Ireland, and that the registration is in the "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958,".

GS Film number: 101062

GS Film number: 101256

Here's the descriptions for those films:

So that would mean that somehow the transcription skipped across the transcription for one group of films to another. I doubt it...

Comment

can't find it on irishgenealogy.ie, tho. weird. without looking at the film...I don't think we'll know.

There is this UK Death Reg:
            Name: Patrick J Sinnott
            Death Age: 72
            Birth Date: abt 1889
            Registration Date: Dec 1961
            Registration district: Liverpool North
            Inferred County: Lancashire
            Volume: 10d
            Page: 246

which probably corresponds to this 1939:
            Name: Patrick Sinnott
            Marital Status: Married
            Birth Date: 21 Nov 1889
            Residence Year: 1939
            Address: 2h
            Residence Place: Liverpool, Lancashire, England

??

Comment

I still think it's a mix up. The old (submitted information) films sometimes used to have the prefix "I" which is easily mistaken for the number 1.I

OC

Comment

I have found an American Catholic baptism in the English records, tried to tell them it was wrongly documented but it's still in the wrong section.
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

On the other hand, I have a side branch who has a marriage listed in both California, and several years earlier, in Arizona. I finally retrieved all records: they married in AZ, and a few years after the marriage, the bride took the marriage cert into the local California court house (where they had always lived) and re-registered the marriage there. Dunno why, but that's what she did.

The point being: without looking at the film, I would have had no way of knowing.
                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 14-12-18, 22:45.

Comment

Question copy pasted from another forum (naughty). OP never replied to us there either! Even though full info from the cert was posted!
                    The answer is - it's army birth return. PJS was an Irishman serving in the British Army.
                    Brother Willie born on Alderney the following year is also on FamilySearch. Both are in the GRO Army Births.

Relevant bit from Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Army) Act ?
                    Where it appears from any such register that an officer or soldier whose death or marriage is entered therein, or to whose family a person whose death, marriage, or birth is entered therein belonged, was a Scotch or Irish subject of Her Majesty, the Registrar General of Births and Deaths in England shall, as soon as may be after receiving the register, send a certified copy of so much thereof as relates to such death, marriage, or birth to the Registrar General of Births and Deaths in Scotland or Ireland, as the case may require.
                    John
                    Last edited by JonnyB; 17-12-18, 00:04.

Comment

merleyone - thanks for your reply

Regards,

Denis

Comment

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies to my query.

Regards,

DenisO

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies to my query.

PS - I am new to the Forum - apologies if this note appears twice.

Regards,

DenisO

Comment

Working...
                          X