Am I the only one ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one ???

I have just sent off for a PDF death certificate from 1892. Nothing out of the ordinary, except it is for the first husband of the niece of the first husband of my great great grandmother and I want to see if he might be a ghost.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

No, you are not alone. I once spent weeks at my LDS centre trawling through church records and constructing a detailed tree for someone who had no connection to me at all, I was just interested in the family! You at least have some connection to yours.

OC

Comment

no you are not alone. I still have my teeth into maria butler even though my dna says she is not my great grandmother after all but been chasing her so long and still havent solved the mystery that surrounds her
      And the son of William Wilberforce was a reverend and conducted the marriage of my great grandmothers sisters wedding...... wouldnt have foound that if we stuck to the one branch...lol

Comment

I do that too.. get engrossed in a particular family and get carried away!..
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Me too! Then I feel a bit guilty that I am not paying so much attention to closer rellies!
          Anne

Comment

My tree goes seriously sideways when I put everyone from a census record in the tree and then go off looking for all their BMDs and other census entries.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Nobody noticed why I wanted to to get the certificate.

I have been researching a building locally which used to be a pub, because it is where the family lived. it has recently become a coffee shop cum art gallery cum art workshop where I have been going and it happens to be where the Cheesmans lived between 1866 and 1884ish. There is a ghost story attached to the cellar stairs there about a sea captain and a dairyman coming to blows over the dairyman's wife, and one or both died, but nobody knows which one is the one reputed to be the ghost. Two of the Cheesman daughters were married to sea captains - one was lost at sea off Great Yarmouth, and the other? Well I had to find out the cause of death didn't I .....
              Caroline
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Everyone loves a Christmas ghost story...

Comment

Ah well, it looks unlikely that my man was the ghost. :(

William Norris Peskett died on 3rd April 1892 at home at 16 Howard Road. Littlehampton and not 2 Pier Road (the pub) and his brother-in-law, Charles Pile of 13 Howard Road was present at the death. Cause of death was Valvular disease of heart, unknown, exhaustion, certified by a doctor.

Although, it is only a 2 minute walk between the pub and his house .... :D
                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    Ah well, it looks unlikely that my man was the ghost. :(

William Norris Peskett died on 3rd April 1892 at home at 16 Howard Road. Littlehampton and not 2 Pier Road (the pub) and his brother-in-law, Charles Pile of 13 Howard Road was present at the death. Cause of death was Valvular disease of heart, unknown, exhaustion, certified by a doctor.

Although, it is only a 2 minute walk between the pub and his house .... :D
                    Perhaps he's recovered from his exhaustion
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      Perhaps he's recovered from his exhaustion
                      It crossed my mind that his brother-in-law carried his body home after the fight which never really took place after he keeled over from fright. Or he pushed the other guy down the cellar stairs then keeled over ......
                      Caroline

Comment

You don't think you may be suffering from an over active imagination do you

p.s. I'm struggling to see the screen for tears of laughter
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-12-18, 10:19.

Comment

You don't think you may be suffering from an over active imagination do you

p.s. I'm struggling to see the screen for tears of laughter
                          I am very serious here. ;) I have found a likely candidate for the dairyman. The other dairymen in 1891 were either widowed or their wives were presumably too old (being very agist!!) but Francis Bolton, Farmer and Dairyman, had a wife called Laura aged 36 - they lived just down the road from the pub in the newly built houses on New Road.
                          Caroline

Comment

Ask them if the ghost has long arms (from carrying heavy pails around) Seriously though, do you know the dairyman's name? We could look for his death

Comment

Ask them if the ghost has long arms (from carrying heavy pails around) Seriously though, do you know the dairyman's name? We could look for his death
                              He is Francis George Bolton born Oxfordshire c.1848.
                              1901 still in Littlehampton at 4 East Ham Road, 1911 in same Road.
                              He died in Ashington near Pulborough in 1916. Probate went to his son Daniel.
                              They had 9 children, 2 died before 1911.

I wonder who owned the dairy in Littlehampton then. I think I'll stop now.
                              Caroline

Comment

Sounds like a dead end

Comment

He is Francis George Bolton born Oxfordshire c.1848.
                                  1901 still in Littlehampton at 4 East Ham Road, 1911 in same Road.
                                  He died in Ashington near Pulborough in 1916. Probate went to his son Daniel.
                                  They had 9 children, 2 died before 1911.

I wonder who owned the dairy in Littlehampton then. I think I'll stop now.
                                  Um - I have found an Edward Charles Harwood of Littlehampton, dairy man. He appears in the West Sussex catalogue in 1907.
                                  1891 Church Street with his parents, father born in Arundel, a cowman aged 20.
                                  1901 the same - still single
                                  1911 the same - still single
                                  1934 - same address, probate to his sister, Bessie.
                                  Caroline

Comment

Um - I have found an Edward Charles Harwood of Littlehampton, dairy man. He appears in the West Sussex catalogue in 1907.
                                    1891 Church Street with his parents, father born in Arundel, a cowman aged 20.
                                    1901 the same - still single
                                    1911 the same - still single
                                    1934 - same address, probate to his sister, Bessie.
                                    You've dragged me in now, if there's a Harwood from Arundel it might be one of mine. That's my evening sorted out now

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                      You've dragged me in now, if there's a Harwood from Arundel it might be one of mine. That's my evening sorted out now
                                      I thought it might be.
                                      Caroline

Comment

No connection with my Harwoods as far as I can see.

Comment

Working...
                                        X