Posting a link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting a link

I was wondering if someone who has access to Ancestry could post a link for the war diaries of the 42nd brigade of the Royal Field Artillery please, I've access to Ancestry but can seem to find the right path to get me to the diaries please. Thank you in advance

It looks like ancestry doesn't have the diaries for any RFA unit. However the ones you require are available at the National Archives, and can be downloaded for a fee (£3.50)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C7352036
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I’m darned if I can find it either. I can get war diaries but when I try to narrow it down, the results actually widen massively.

Comment

RFA and RHA War diaries are on Ancestry, but it can be difficult to work out which one you you want - for tracking an individual it is important to know which battery they were part of, and batteries could move between divisions regularly for tactical purposes. When looking at them, also look at the HQ branch diaries, because these often have the most detail about deployment ( the RFA map references can pinpoint a location to about a 5 yard square).

Go to the UK WW1 War diaries search page, go to "browse this collection" and the 42nd Brigade RFA diary is under ....... Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery - 3rd Division - Piece 1401 Divisional troops
        Last edited by AntonyM; 03-12-18, 08:30.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Well done Anthony.

Comment

Working...
          X