X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thompson family

Hello,

I’m looking into the Thompson family.

My last-known links are Richard and Ann Thompson, who were living on Sycamore Street in St. Luke’s in 1851. Richard was a china dealer, and evidently died before 1861, by which point Ann was living on Great Arthur Street. The couple lived on Aldersgate Street in 1817, but I don’t know when they married. Richard was born in Wednesbury in 1786, and Ann in Swadlincote in around 1791. If anyone could find their marriage or deaths/burials that’d be great!

Thanks,

Adam McGregor

"The couple lived on Aldersgate Street in 1817"
    Where did you find this? Is it from a child's baptism?
    If so what other children did they have, dates, places?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

As usual Adam, you don't list all the relevant information you already have to make it easy for us to help you [and Kat asks the right question]. However, as I had a bit of spare time I can share the following:

This couple had children born/bap at St Luke Finsbury between 1824 and 1836 [details available at Familysearch]; ther may be others at other parishes in London and ELSEWHERE.

The eldest child in 1851 is Richard age 32, and is 45 in 1861, birth stated to be London. However, given the birth location of parents Stafford/Derby [esp. mother Swadlincote] and his age in 1861 I wonder whether this was his baptism:

Name Richard Thompson
      Event Type Baptism
      Event Date 9 Apr 1816
      Event Place Church Gresley, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
      Gender Male
      Father's Name Richard Thompson
      Mother's Name Anne Thompson

The actual image is available from Familysearch which shows the abode as Swadlincote, and father Richard's occ. was Licensed Hawker & Pedlar. Thus a search for more baptisms in this parish might prove to be useful [e.g. William born 03 Apr 1813 bap 01 Aug 1813 Church Gresley is the first of several - Sarah 1820 seems to be the last]

Also, the following marriage might be worth investigating:

Name Richard Thompson
      Spouse's Name Anne Woodward
      Event Date 31 Oct 1812
      Event Place Church Gresley,Derby,England

The iamge is available at Familysearch

Comment

Thanks for all of that! Yes, Aldersgate Street came from an 1817 baptism at St. Andrew’s Church, Holborn.

Comment

Richard and Ann buried their son William in Church Gresley in early 1817 (residence Swadlincote) before possibly christening my ancestor in Holborn in late 1817. There’s then three christenings (twins in one case) in 1819 and 1820 in Church Gresley, before disappearing again. My guess would be that if these couples are the same (likely) that they left for London in 1817 and briefly returned around 1819, before returning for London, where they settled in St. Luke’s.

Still having no luck for deaths for Richard or Ann. None in the St. Luke’s registration district anyway.

Comment

Can’t find a christening around 1791 for Ann Woodward in or around Swadlincote :(

Comment

On Ancestry

City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery

Ann Thompson
              aged 74 b abt 1789
              Gt Arthur Street
              Buried 07/01/1863

2nd record gives address as 22 Gt Arthur Street where she was living at the time of the 1861 census

GRO
              1st Q 1863
              St Luke
              1b 481
              Although that gives age of 72

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 01-12-18, 15:59.

Comment

Thanks Vera! That's great.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
                  Hello,

If anyone could find their marriage or deaths/burials that’d be great!

Adam McGregor
                  You asked for a marriage - did the one I suggested in my post fit the bill or did you actually know it already?

Comment

Yes, it fitted perfectly! I wasn’t aware of it no, I never thought to look in Derbyshire! In my experience, husbands and wives from different counties living in London usually had both moved there and married. Thanks for it, and the details of all the christenings.

Also, I have found a death registration for a Richard Thompson in St. Luke in 1854, aged 75. Can anyone find a corresponding burial?
                    Last edited by AdamMcGregor; 01-12-18, 16:32. Reason: Correction

Comment

It was Q3 1854 St Luke and Richard was aged 75. You can find ages in death records on gro.gov.uk - you just need to open an account and you can actually order a PDF copy of the death record from the site for a relatively modest fee - and likely one youd want as these are direct ancestors of yours
                      Last edited by Bertie; 01-12-18, 16:37.

Comment

Yes, I’ve ordered about 30 PDFs over the last few months. £4 per one. However, if anyone can find a burial for him in 1854 and save me a bit of a wait that’d be great!
                        Last edited by AdamMcGregor; 01-12-18, 16:44.

Comment

I think I can see the burial for that Richard Thompson d reg St Lukes 3rd Q1854.
                          The dates match but burial is out of area

On Ancestry

St James the Less, Bethnal Green
                          Very poor copy
                          Robert Thompson aged 75
                          Buried September 1854
                          Cant decipher address

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera! I’ve got lots of London burials, and very few in the 19th century are in the areas they lived in - probably due to the scarcity of gravesites as London grew.

Comment

Could only find a handful of christenings for an Ann/Anne Woodward in Derbyshire around 1791 - none anywhere near Swadlincote :( has anyone else had any luck?

Comment

Found it! In a different parish in 1794, but ‘of Swadlincote’.

Comment

Working...
                                X