Any expert ww1 researchers out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any expert ww1 researchers out there

I'm trying to find out any military history for a Robert Gardner born 24th November 1896 in kirkintilloch, Scotland. According to his daughter he joined up under age and ended up at Gallipoli. But due to dementia she can not remember Regiment etc. She did say that he was always feared of the dentist because when they used gas it brought back flash backs of being gassed in Gallipoli. Im not on Ancestry or any of those pay to view sites and I'm also trying a ww1 forum for help. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The record I have found is for Royal Navy Division Blandford.
    His address given 3 Kerr Street Kirkintilloch and Mother Mrs Gardner, 109 Glenluggie Place Kirkintilloch.

However DOB given as 1 Oct 1896 and he was a clerk on entry 1915.

Record shows he was in Dardenelles but gassed in France also survived influenza.

If you think this is him I can send you the 4 pages by email

From WIKIPEDIA
    First World War - Royal Naval Division
    With the outbreak of the First World War a large number of Royal Naval reservists were called for full-time service, in excess of the numbers required to man ships. It was therefore decided that a Royal Naval Division would be formed to augment the army divisions. After its initial action in the front line in Belgium, the Division returned to the UK and established a base depot and training camp at Blandford. A German prisoner of war camp was also set up alongside it.[6]

The RN Division had battalions named after the former naval officers Drake, Nelson, Benbow, Hawke, Hood, Howe, Anson and Collingwood, and the various encampments at Blandford took these names. Instruction on trench construction and trench warfare was carried out within the camp area and traces of the Royal Naval Division trenches can still be seen in the area beyond Drake East Lines.[6]

The men of the Division left Blandford Camp to embark on the ill-fated Gallipoli operation. A memorial now stands at Collingwood Corner, on the main A354 Blandford Forum to Salisbury road, dedicated to the men of the Collingwood Battalion who lost their lives in the Third Battle of Krithia at Gallipoli on 4 June 1915.[7]
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 29-11-18, 13:13.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

If it's any help his parents were John Gardner and Jane(Jeane) Laing

Comment

email sent.
        Mother is just Mrs Gardner.
        Where did you get the birth information from and his parents name? I cannot see them at the moment on Scotlands people. Will look again later. Am going out so if anyone else can help meantime......
        Kat

Comment

I have looked on SP and I can't find a birth that fits the date and area given.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

1901 census
            3, Kerr Street, Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland

Jane Gardner Head Widow Female 63 1838 - Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
            Andrew Gardner Son Single Male 35 1866 Ironmoulder Foundry Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
            George Gardner Son Single Male 25 1876 Joiner Kirkintilloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
            Robert Gardner Grandson - Male 4 1897 - Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 29-11-18, 18:07.
            Kat

Comment

There are no marriages showing to a Jeane Laing, and only these two to a Jean Laing. So I assume it's the second one. As Kat says though I would ike to know how you got this information before I use 6 credits to look at it.

GARDNER JOHN - LAING JANE - 1860 - 685/1 216 - St George - View image (6 credits)

GARDNER JOHN - LAING JANE - 1897 - 644/9 504 - Kelvin - View image (6 credits)
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If the 2nd marriage is correct then Robert may have been born before marriage so he could be this one;

LAING ROBERT M 1897 644/9 46 Kelvin

Comment

The GARDNER / GARDINER family have been in Kirkintilloch since 1861 census. The widowed Jane in 1901 was maiden surname TOWERS and her husband was called Joseph. They did have a son called John who was still living at home 1891 but I can’t see him on ancestry 1901 Scotland census.

Name: John Gardiner
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
                  Relationship: Son
                  Father's name: Joseph Gardiner
                  Mother's name: Jane Gardiner
                  Where born: Kirkintilloch, Dmbtn Shire
                  Registration Number: 498
                  Registration district: Kirkintilloch
                  Civil Parish: Kirkintilloch
                  Town: Kirkintilloch
                  County: Dumbartonshire
                  Address: 17 Victoria St
                  ED: 8
                  Household schedule number: 235
                  LINE: 23
                  Roll: CSSCT1891_160
                  Household Members:
                  Name Age
                  Joseph Gardiner 59
                  Jane Gardiner 57
                  Andrew Gardiner 25
                  John Gardiner 19
                  George Gardiner 15

Comment

Young Robert is still in Kirkintilloch on 1911 census. Sadly SP indexing for censuses is hopeless. You don’t get place of birth or anybody else in household.

GARDNER ROBERT 1911 M 14 498/ 6/ 9 Kirkintilloch Dunbarton

Comment

This could be Robert’s mother’s death. It is cross indexed as LAING.

GARDNER JEANIE 84 1955 498/ 33 Kirkintilloch

Comment

John and Jeanie are also in Kirkintilloch in 1911 as this entry is for John but I added Jean* as other person in household having first searched for Jeanie on her own as found her indexed as Jean.

GARDNER
                        JOHN
                        M
                        498/ 8/ 11
                        Kirkintilloch
                        Dunbarton

Comment

Good old FMP, found John and Jeanie in 1901 Kirkintilloch. Looks like Robert was simply at his Granny’s on census night. Jeanie was from Banchory, Kincardineshire.

C9519989-C486-4CE2-84F9-4E78D459F515.jpg
                          Last edited by GallowayLass; 29-11-18, 21:09.

Comment

This must be the Robert that the service record relates to as the 1901 census address - 3 Kerr street is the same.
                            Kat

Comment

It certainly looks like it is the 2nd set of marriage 1897, all other known family members tie in

Comment

Working...
                              X