my grandfather, the liar..lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my grandfather, the liar..lol

my grandfather never told my mum that he had divorced her mother. She always believed that her mother had drowned in the floods in New Zealand. They left New Zealand april 1934. Mum always said that her father rejoined the army and she was brought up by her grandparents and her aunts. She was more like an unpaid servant. I never thought to look on 1939 register for my grandfather as I assumed he was in the army like mum believed, well he was already in Sussex along with his next wife...lol. So would he really have rejoined the army in between returning to Scotland after bringing his 3 children back to his homeland and then be employed as electrician handyman gardener by 1939 or was that just another lie?

Seems unlikely that he would even think about joining the Army in those circumstances. How old would he have been in 1934?
    Anne

Comment

he was born jan 1897. He was in the army prior to going to new zealand, think he must have lied about his age.

Comment

He married again in 1941 to the housemaid of where he was working as a handyman/gardener, must have been quite some romance as she was 18 years younge than him

Comment

Maybe it was the case that she married him to prevent being called up?? I believe married women were exempt from compulsory service?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

So did your grandmother stay in New Zealand and allow him to bring the children home to Scotland?
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

yes but we didnt know that
              There was a big flood and mums last memoryof her mother was she went into the flood waters to rescue her favourite polo pony.
              Truth is they divorced and she remarried having 6 more children that mum knew nothing about. When my grandmother was in hospital dying 1955 she told her eldest daughter of her 2nd marriage about the first 3 that had gone to Scotland. She wrote a letter to my grandfather and he replied leave us alone we have moved on.......Never told my mum. I found out when mum was 80 so she couldnt get her head round it...lol
              She said all her life had been a lie then.

Comment

there is a couple of years gap inbetween the flood and the time they left new zealand. I know it took time to save the money for the boat fare home and I believe his father sent some money to help but the gap is still a bit of a puzzle to me as mum didnt see her mother during those years or not that she can remember. She went to live on a farm with a family friend with her sister and her father and brother stayed on another farm where it was men only and did the labouring

Comment

I don't know if this helps Gloryer and I assume you have already seen it, but in 1930 he is on his way back to New Zealand (via Australia) after a trip back to the UK.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Just to say ......

....... my father's elder brother was born in 1894, served in WW1, wounded and gassed.

He was still within the age range for call-up in 1939, until he got a job as a storekeeper in the Restricted Factory where my dad was working. Both were in Restricted Occupation for the duration of the war.

Uncle Harry was married, had 6 children, and still suffering the effects of his wounds and gassing ............ so not sure he would have passed the medical in 1939!

So your grandfather would also still have been within the age range if born in 1897
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Someone slightly older may have been in the 1939 Register but conscripted later when older men were required.

Part of the reason for the Register was for Conscription purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        I don't know if this helps Gloryer and I assume you have already seen it, but in 1930 he is on his way back to New Zealand (via Australia) after a trip back to the UK.
                        no really ? I hadnt even looked for that as i presumed he had stayed in new zealand when he had 3 small children. Maybe he had returned home to collect the money for the fare for the children...

Comment

I have his trip to australia 1922 and I did have the journey home with the children 1935 but not seen the other one and it didnt come up in the search I just did on ancestry

Comment

wow just found it, well that puts another new thought on the subject...lol
                            definately him as I have a picture of Walton Lodge, his address on there

Comment

well I have been following up on this. He set sail for Australia 1st october 1930 and the ship had supplies for 36 days. So he would then have changed ships in australia for New Zealand. Had a search for when he left New Zealand and found he arrived in Southampton from Wellington 19th May 1930 so he had left his wife and 3 young children for at least 6 months. No wonder she found love else where and they got divorced!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X