Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry "Harry" Green - my 2x great grandfather

Hello all

I am currently searching for some information about my great great grandfather Henry (otherwise known as Harry) Green. He was born on 24th March 1895 in Mangotsfield to parents Victor Charles Green and Maria Cross. He was 1 of 8 siblings, all of them boys. As far as I know he lived in Mangotsfield all his life and he died in 1949, I am assuming he died in Mangotsfield.

A little while back you lovely people found me a newspaper article about my great great grandfather, Harry. As he served in the Fist World War but was only in the War for just short of 10 months as he was injured - he had his arm blown off. He joined when the War started in 1914 and was out by May 1915 and the newspaper article confirms this. He married my great great grandmother, Sarah Ann Batt in 1917 and they had 5 children together.

I'm aware that I am rambling a bit.... what I am trying to find out is what regiment Harry was in! I would like to know a little bit more about his time in the War. I feel like I have searched every single military record going and with a name as common as Harry Green it is proving very difficult!

I would be grateful if someone could give me a hand in searching for War records for Harry/ Henry or if someone could point me in the right direction! I am currently subscribed to Ancestry.

Thank you
    Georgia Mae Simeone

sorry had a look but not found him, have you tried maybe looking for his Brothers??? quite often they would serve in the same regiment.

Comment

Hi Val,

Thank you for looking!

I have tried to search for his brothers but have not found much.... his brother were:
      Charles Henry b. 1887 - can't find any record of him in WW1
      William b. 1889 - can't find any record of him in WW1
      John Thomas b. 1894 - can't find any record of him in WW1
      Victor b. 1897 - I have found Victor on the 'UK, Royal Navy Register of Seamen's Services 1848-1939' register

His other 3 brothers; Edward b. 1899, Frank b. 1901 & George b. 1904 would've been too young to serve in WW1.
      Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

could this be Charles Henry ??

Charles Henry
        Last name Green
        Service number 30792
        Rank Private
        Regiment Dorsetshire Regiment
        Battalion 6th Battalion.
        Residence -
        Birth place Eastfield, Bristol, Glos
        Enlistment place Andover, Hants
        Death year 1918
        Death day 23
        Death month 8
        Cause of death Killed in action
        Death place France & Flanders
        Theatre of war Western European Theatre

Comment

I've got a death for Charles Henry in 1936 so I don't think this is him unfortunately. I don't think it helps that the surname is so common :(

Thanks for your help!
          Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

You night be interested in the following, although only 30% of WW1 records have survived so you might be among the unlucky ones where nothing more exists

You will have to provide credit card details to sign on for the free trial, so please remember to email the site at least 2-3 days BEFORE the end of the trial to tell them you wish to cancel ...... or you'll be stuck!

All seem to start either today or tomorrow ........ because it is Remembrance Day weekend

This is a part of ancestry I believe but needs an extra sub .........

Fold3 Commonwealth Collection

I think this one is correct, though the "guildford" seems strange!

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I have looked on FMP and Ancestry. Cant see a likely Harry/Henry.

The newspaper article re the fund raiser for Harry mentioned there was attendance from the the 9th Gloucesters and the Kings Own?

Can see what looks to be Harry with Sarah Ann on the 1939 Census with Kenneth and Edith M plus x 2 others.

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 08-11-18, 21:25.

Comment

.....also mentioned Bristol's Own ie 12th Gloucestershires. However they didnt land in France until November 1915. The 9th Gloucestershires in France from September 1915.

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 08-11-18, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                  I have looked on FMP and Ancestry. Cant see a likely Harry/Henry.

The newspaper article re the fund raiser for Harry mentioned there was attendance from the the 9th Gloucesters and the Kings Own?

Can see what looks to be Harry with Sarah Ann on the 1939 Census with Kenneth and Edith M plus x 2 others.

Vera
                  Thank you for your help! Ah ok, I wonder if he was in the Gloucestershire Regiment?
                  Yes, that is him on the 1939 census living with his wife Sarah Ann, his son Kenneth and my great grandmother Edith!
                  Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Working...
                  X