2nd marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd marriage?

in a bit of a state of shock!!!. Was just browsing the hints on ancestry and came across a marriage which I find a bit unbelievable. Richard Back b1765 Boughton Monchelsea is in my direct line. Dont really know much about him. Found him first on 1841 census as he was living with his daughter and her husband Elizabeth Gurr and Henry Gurr. I was guessing that he was Elizabeth's father so I got his death certificate and the informant was his grandson so thats the nearest I can get to proving he is Elizabeth's father. So I came across this marriage 1855 dec hollingbourne to Elizabeth Ann Giles Wakefield but he died 1859....I am wondering if this is my Richard Back as he was a bit long in the tooth and it was only a short marriage!!!!!! Cant imagine that she married him for money as I think he was just an ag lab.......
    Can anybody help me out with this one please or do I have to get the certificate to solve my curiousity?
    Just the age of the groom would certainly eliminate.......
    Last edited by gloryer; 08-11-18, 06:42.

Can't see anything on FMP

Comment

thanks Jill. I did do a search for any events of richard back in holinbourne and thats the only 2 that came up a marriage then his death, so not a common name in that area

Comment

Elizabeth Ann Giles Wakefield
        England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911

Name: Richard Back
        Event Type: Marriage
        Event Date: 24 Nov 1855
        Event Place: Harrietsham, Kent, England
        Marital Status: Single
        Birth Year (Estimated): 1833
        Father's Name: Jeremiah Back
        Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Ann Giles Wakefield
        Spouse's Gender: Female
        Spouse's Age: 20
        Spouse's Marital Status: Single
        Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1835

Edit: Harrietsham is in Hollingbourne Registration District.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-11-18, 09:12.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

ooh thank you Kat.... Not my Richard Back then.......I was having kittens thinking about it..........lol

Comment

Gloryer .............

I have in fact found occasions where very old men married and often quite shortly before death ......... and their wives were often very young or middle-aged widows. That is both in mine or OH's ancestral lines, and also when I've been helping other people.

I've come to the conclusion that, back in the day, it might well have been better for woman, young or middle-aged, previously married or mot, to marry an older man than to either live alone if a widow or stay at home if single and be under the constant control of an elderly parents.

Even an agricultural labourer could well be living in a cottage, and she'd be her own mistress! So long as she fed and watered her husband and kept him content, she was probably very much better off!
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia

I too have several instances of very old men marrying very young - or relatively young - women, shortly before they died. I think it was often about propriety, not love! The old man was dutifully looked after and the woman got a home.

My late MIL was brought up in an ag labs cottage. Her mother fell down the stairs and broke her neck. Her father quickly married the widow next door. I doubt it was love or even lust, just a good practical arrangement all round.

OC

Comment

OC ......

how sad!

yes, it very often was a very quick marriage after the man was widowed!

Similar happened if the man had young children still at home ......... he needed help to take care of the kids!

One of my ancestors married 3 times in quick succession as first 2 wives died within 2-5 years of marriage, each leaving him with at least 1 very young child. The first time he re-married within months, the second time in just over a year.

The unwary who do not buy certificates have all assigned the child who is our ancestor to the wrong mother :D
                Last edited by Sylvia C; 08-11-18, 20:56.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I've been caught out at least twice! One man married a woman with the same first name (before registration) and it was only by looking at the original parish record for the baptism of my ancestor that I found the information " baptised before mother's burial" that I realised what had happened. I then found the second marriage....but I appear to be the only person in the universe who has, lol.

OC

Comment

OC

That was a lucky find!

Comment

Thank you. It just took me by surprise as I had an image of him in my mind then all of a sudden the image was shattered with the thought of him marrying..lol But alas it was' nt him. May be a relation though as there was only the 2 registered under Richard Back in Holinbourne. One a marriage and one a death so not a common name.

Comment

Working...
                      X