Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a marriage

Hello everybody

John Strain b:16 May 1885 in East Rainton, Durham. He was brought up with the surname Strain until the 1901 census when it changed to Strachan.
    The enumerator must have had problems with his fathers Scottish accent on this one!

What I need help with is John marriage to Ellen somewhere between 1901-1911 the only reason I know her name is from the 1911 and 1939 census, but can anyone help with finding Ellen's surname and their marriage.

Other spellings for their surname are Strane, Straughton and Strachen

Did they have any children? If so, mother's maiden name will be on the index.

OC

Comment

Did they have any children that you know of??

If so, you try looking on the new GRO Index for births between 1901 and 1915 (then you have to go to Freebmd), enter father's surname and child's name ........ and if you get it right mother's maiden name will be there.

You have to register, but it is free ..... it is the government site form which you order all bmds for England and Wales.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

snap, OC :D
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Haha Sylvia!

There's a John Straughan to Ellen Chrisp in June 1901 in Alnwick. He would be very young, though.

OC

Comment

No Children in the marriage

Comment

no child showing in 1911, but the image says married 3 years, no children born

so that brings the marriage to around 1907-1908 (possibly 1909)

Comment

???????????????? If Eleanor was known as Ellen??????

Marriages Dec 1907 (>99%)
                Elliott Eleanor Chester le S. 10a 1033
                Strachan John Chester le S. 10a 1033

There is also this John Strachan marriage in Durham in 1908 but no Ellen ........ unless Ellen was a pet name or second name that isn't shown n the certificate ...

Marriages Jun 1908 (>99%)
                Myers John Durham 10a 727
                Raine Catherine Durham 10a 727
                Strachan John Durham 10a 727
                Young Emma Durham 10a 727
                Last edited by Sylvia C; 06-11-18, 18:38.

Comment

Just sweet sixteen in 1901. I haven't come across this marriage so I will look into it being a possibility. There were no children in the marriage so I couldn't be sure unless I sent for the marriage certificate.

Comment

Sylvia, I have just looked at the 1901 Census for Eleanor Elliot and her name is spelt Ellenor Elliott, shortened to Ellen, also her birth place is Pelaw Grange which is the same as the two census, maybe this is the marriage I am looking for.

Comment

deleted my mistake
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-11-18, 19:05.

Comment

I will look at all this information tomorrow but I think Ellenor is going to be the correct one.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
                          Hello everybody

John Strain b:16 May 1885 in East Rainton, Durham. He was brought up with the surname Strain until the 1901 census when it changed to Strachan.
                          The enumerator must have had problems with his fathers Scottish accent on this one!

What I need help with is John marriage to Ellen somewhere between 1901-1911 the only reason I know her name is from the 1911 and 1939 census, but can anyone help with finding Ellen's surname and their marriage.

Other spellings for their surname are Strane, Straughton and Strachen
                          Mine were recorded as Straughan, Straffen and (in the USA) as Straffere. In my case, they were a married in family, miners of Northumberland, descended from an 1841 County Durham (Easington reg dist) marriage.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sylvia - Thank-you for the information, this is the right Ellen.

Janet - I will add your spellings to my list, you never know with this name it has too many varieties

Can I ask the team if you do lookups for Ireland before posting a request?

Sue

Comment

Working...
                            X